1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I was actually embarrassed for Jay Pharoh during the on-stage closing. He was putting on the good face, but he had to be thinking, "Why am I even fucking here?"

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Walken doesn't really have anything to promote, though. Been doing a lot of indie work lately. SNL only has two officially confirmed hosts so far: Melissa McCarthy next week, and Jimmy Fallon for the Christmas show (with musical guest MICHAEL BUBLE!)

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I haven't watch SNL since it stopped being funny. So at least 17 years.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Could we please line up everyone who hasn't watched it in 17 years so they can get all that out of the way before the third page of this thread is over? ::)

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Call me crazy, but I thought that was a very good episode. Baldwin is a sure thing on that show. His Tony Bennett had me rolling. Who's on Top was great. "Red Flag" commercial was funny. Top Gun, good.

Granted, I watch SNL on the DVR, which probably helps.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

And MSNBC, of course, showed Baldwin falling asleep at the podium in the debate cold open. You know Perry and his acolytes will be on the attack. Not the most brilliant political piece they've ever done, but it held my attention for 10-plus minutes (the longest cold open I can remember).
    Given the McGinniss book, I half-expected them to roll Tina out. Maybe they're saving her for Palin's entry (not a given, but much more likely than it looked at the beginning of the month, and probable if Perry falls out of the lead).

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Watching it on the DVR is the only way to go. I watch the entire thing in 30-40 minutes. No commercials, no Radiohead and it's usually a given that the last sketch or two of the night will be skipped.

Just guessing here, but I would be stunned if Fey would have agreed to participate in a sketch that had anything to do with that book.

My favorite line of the night was Baldwin making fun of Steve Martin playing the banjo. "Oh he's off playing that instrument that Kermit the Frog plays..."

Baldwin is my favorite host ever. Hell, he's been comic gold for 20+ years on that show.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was disappointed that they didn't provide Baldwin with a sketch that would join the list of his SNL great moments, i.e. Canteen Boy, Schwetty Balls, etc.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Watched a whole episode for the first time in ages the other night. A few chuckles here and there. Radiohead was awful.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Carvey left in 1993, so that's about right...

They've had good people since then, but I think a lot of people forget how underused guys like Chris Rock and Adam Sandler were when they were there.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'll give you Rock, but Sandler wasn't underused. Now Jay Mohr... yeah, barely appeared, despite his brilliant Christopher Walken for Skittles and Charles Barkley vs. Barney contributions. Sandler was all over the place, tho. Update, canteen boy, fresh pepper dude, one of the clothing store chicks...

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

More confirmed hosts: Ben Stiller and Anna Faris.

Draft saved Draft deleted