1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the cut for time sketches. Murphy crushed it.

Buckwheat, Gumby, Velvet Jones - But always thought he was funniest when he played up how white people react to black people. LEFT the show when he was just 23
    Can't believe he hasn't won an Emmy - figure tonight will take care of that.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The other was a Lizzo / Aidy Bryant one

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Loved Dolomite. Eddie was great back on SNL. This world needs more Eddie.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Just as long as it's not Eddie in Pluto Nash/Klumps 2/desperate for a paycheck mode.

Chef2 and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Gumby was perfect.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

HE'S GUMBY DAMN IT

Chef2 likes this.
  8. DanOregon

I thought he was great in Dreamgirls, and I don't know what is different, but there is a lightness to his performance in Dolomite, and what we saw last night - he was having fun. Looked like he was having more fun than he'd had in years.

Shoot - the Nutty Professor was 25 years ago, and even then there was a lot of make-up involved. Since then you still feel like you have to remind people how funny Murphy was on SNL, and he never really reached that level since.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't know if the whole mess with Spade was the sole reason he hadn't been back, but if it was, it's been almost 25 years.
    Let it go man.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think that's been kind of overblown, since Murphy just hasn't done a ton of stuff, period.

11. DanOregon

It's not just the Spade/SNL thing - he was portrayed as being "bitter" or whatever - had some backlash in the 80s, did family movies for much of the last 25 years with the highlights being Shrek and The Nutty Professor and his turn in Dreamgirls. Don't know if he's just mellowed out or learned how to deal with the ups and downs of a career that began with a very big high. I just remember how disappointing his appearance at the 40th anniversary show was.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

He’s 58, which means there’s still a chance some of his best work is on the horizon. That would be awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted