1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

SNL Shocker: Leslie Jones Is Leaving, Kate McKinnon Is Staying

I'm guessing she either didn't get a contract offer she liked, or just didn't get one. Really surprised NBC hasn't put a sitcom around her. The "focus on a Netflix special" is window dressing if I ever heard it. Kenan Thompson is doing a sitcom, a comedy contest show AND SNL.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I guess they'll have to hire another comedienne to portray Leslie Jones portraying Leslie Jones in every skit.

MTM and OscarMadison like this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I adore her, but unfortunately, it is true.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I want Jones to be a permanent fixture in NBC's Olympics coverage.

OscarMadison and Iron_chet like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Only if she's been drinking a little.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Obviously!

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

She was a first ballot awful prompter reader.

Lt.Drebin and OscarMadison like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

She was hilarious watching Game of Thrones with Seth Meyers.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

You get a 7-year option contract when you start with SNL. Basically the show has the option to pick up your contract at a guaranteed rate for 7 years.

So this had nothing to do with a contract and everything to do with her deciding to leave to pursue other projects.

11. DanOregon

You think it was her call? Leave SNL for a one-off comedy special and a game-show that she could have taped on off-days and off-weeks? Why would she wait until now to announce it? (This is also the traditional time of the year when SNL makes their decisions on who is coming back and who isn't, and auditions new talent).

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yes. For one, all reports so far have indicated that it was her decision. Two, when SNL cans someone or opts not to renew the deal, the actor usually says something shortly afterward. Jay Pharoah and Taran Killam are the last notable ones I remember leaving before the 7-year deal (everyone else never got past featured player), and both came out pretty quickly with a statement.

Leslie Jones hasn't said anything publicly. That tells me she is probably waiting for something to be signed/ironed out or for a promotional opportunity to actually confirm it. Release date for her special, another new project announcement, something where she can promote that and say how much she's going to miss SNL at the same time.

As for her career, she's not a sketch comic. She's a stand-up and her best material has been when she can harness that.

Netflix has created a home for stand-up comedy that surpasses even the outstanding platform HBO used to give comics in the 80s and 90s. Name comics are making bank - Gabriel Iglesias, Dave Chappelle, Jeff Dunham, Aziz Ansari, and countless others have chosen to go there because that's where the money is. On the extreme end, Chris Rock's two-special deal was reportedly worth $40 million. Leslie Jones has a household name, so she's assuredly making more money with a standup special.

She also has three movies in production, including the Coming to America sequel and a film with Chris Rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted