1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Radiohead is fucking strange.

Radiohead has always been fucking strange.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still love him, and you are uninvited from our nuptials.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

That's part of their appeal to me. But I think they do themselves a disservice whenever they're on SNL by throwing this weird, atmospheric stuff at people. The few times they've appeared, I know their selections will grow on me after several listens, once I've bought the record. But that ain't necessarily a good choice for a two-shot appearance on a comedy show.

Now, the fucking "comedy" ...

For starters, that shrieking child skit was an excruciating experience. Just painful.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Buh, but I already bought the gift. What am I supposed to do with this Norm MacDonald DVD?

5. imjustagirl

Give it to BYH. I hate that guy.

Norm, not BYH. Well ... yeah, Norm.

6. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Seriously that "Who's on Top" skit was HILARIOUS

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I actually really like Radiohead's first couple of albums, which are the sort of sneered-at "conventional" albums.

I don't dislike their later stuff, but the genius sort of escapes me.

Totally given up on SNL at this point. I grew up on it, starting with the Murray/Belushi/Aykroyd era. I went years and years without missing it. Now it never even occurs to me to put it on.

8. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Yeah but one thing they're doing now that the old SNL couldn't match is the Lonely Island music videos

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Eh. Some of the music videos are hideously overrated.

"Dick in a Box" was brilliant.

"I'm on a Boat" was not funny.

Natalie Portman rapping was not funny. "Hey, the pretty, nice actress girl is saying bad words! Ha ha!"

I can see how they seem funny in context, because the context is 90 minutes of brutally bad sketch comedy, and at least these things mix it up.

10. imjustagirl

Adoration, from me to you.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I registered a couple chuckles during the Top Gun audition, but otherwise, zilch for laughs. Nothing. Terrible. What's really depressing is that the show overall seemed a little bit funny in contrast to the commercial for this absolutely atrocious movie from Adam Sandler, where he plays both brother and sister.

There cannot be anyone working in Hollywood nowadays with less respect for the viewing public than this utter waste of oxygen. Who would actually pay money to watch this excrement? Adam Sandler wants to find out.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Overall, the timing on the jokes seemed faster - better than playing out the same joke over and over and over again. I've gotten to the point that whenever I see a living room set, (like the child psychologist thing) I can tell it's going to be a lame skit.
    The All My Children skit was funny "You all tested positive - for being friends...and AIDS." Or was I pushed?"
    Very little Armisen and pretty much zero Jay Pharaoh.
    Glad to see they bumped Pedrad up to regular - can't remember the last time SNL began a season without any departures or additions.

Draft saved Draft deleted