1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL shakeup? Four new cast members, too!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Samberg's Mark Wahlberg impersonation was hilarious.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd hate to see Meyers go. I enjoy him on WU.

And thanks to those links I have a new favorite blog - http://www.thecomicscomic.com/

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That's true. Ok. So he has to digital shorts with Timberlake and Wahlberg impressions. Nothing else.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How soon they forget Seth Meyers...

5. Mizzougrad96

Armisen is the biggest hack in the cast, but Meyers is the worst Weekend Update anchor ever, by a mile and that includes Charles Rocket.

Armisen's Obama and Forte's W were the worst presidential impressions the show has ever had.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I disagree about Meyers, but I totally agree about the presidential impressions. The only one that was any good during the election was Fey as Palin, and whoever did Biden was OK. The BaRock Obama is more entertaining than anything ever done with that impersonation.

I think Meyers should be the Weekend Update anchor, but canned as the head writer - The show simply hasn't been as good under his watch. If he doesn't want the reduced role, well, best of luck to him.

Like Rhody, I like Thompson in "What Up With That", and I almost wonder if he's being marginalized like some other African American performers on the show have been. Chris Rock, Damon Wayans, Tracey Morgan... They've all been a lot funnier after leaving the show. Tracey Morgan's "Best Of" DVD is full of weird, funny sketches that I never saw originally because they were probably on at 12:55 a.m.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Nothing surprises me about SNL anymore. The sketches play like they just starting practicing them Saturday afternoon. I wouldn't expect personnel decisions to be made any sooner.

How long before Lorne Michaels can be shown the door? The show badly needs revamped, and Samberg should be the centerpiece they build off of.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's a good question that needs a discussion: Michaels. If Michaels goes, SNL goes as well. There isn't anyone who can run SNL unless if it's over Lorne's dead body.

Being honest, in my own opinion, there isn't a lot of quality comedians/actors out there, not counting the usual suspects, that SNL can bring in.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are plenty of good comedy writers out there. Open the wallet and steal a few from The Daily Show or Conan.
    As an aside - anyone see the latest numbers for late night shows? Leno and Letterman seem to be in a race to the bottom. I can't help but think the Conan thing did a lot of damage to the format.

10. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

Don't know on cast members, but Bryan Cranston of "Breaking Bad" is reportedly hosting a show this year.

11. Mizzougrad96

Keep in mind, this is the same show that fired Adam Sandler and Chris Rock.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

Glory be! No more McGruber skits!

But if all the other guys end up leaving, who's left? Kristin Wiig? She's so one-note. She never plays anything but a psycho or a weirdo. ZZzzzz

IMO, the show's biggest loss (recently) was Maya Rudolph. No recent cast member has been as consistently funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted