1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 5/14

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by holy bull, May 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought I read somewhere that Armisen is leaving.

Wiig should leave too. Based on Bridesmaids' opening, she should be set.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Also, she's terribly, horribly unfunny and instant death to any skit.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

what's crazy is that she's knows some of her characters aren't funny, she's dropping two of them

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/05/kristen_wiig_has_retired_two_s.html

A link in that article has a quote from Lorne Michaels as saying she is one of the "three or four top SNL cast members ever."

He's fucked her. That's the only explanation.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The majority of the cast is unfunny. The current fat guy tries to be Chris Farley, they have the black guy who does impersonations (played out), Meyers has killed Weekend Update (which has been dead for many years now), Kenan Thompson tries too hard and still doesn't make me laugh ... The only ones I can really stand are Hader, Wiig, Sudakis and Samberg. It's too bad Forte left because he has funny. Every other person now is a schlub.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Gilly is history? Hallelujah.

Oooof. Chalking that one up to diff'rent strokes.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I could have sworn that Colbert and/or Carell voice the animated Ace and Gary.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

they do.

it just became Hamm and Fallon for the live action part.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think Jon Hamm is our generation's Tom Hanks as far as the Five Timer's Club is concerned.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Colbert was the mad scientist guy and Carrell was Big Head in live action. Helms was two-faced guy and Armisen was the lizard

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Yep ... I recognized the scientist's voice and rewound it 2-3 times before I figured out it was Colbert. ...

I thought the overall episode was weak. That was the first time I'd seen "What's Up With Dat" and thought it was horrible. The only thing I laughed at was each time Jason Sudeikis jumped in and did the running man.

I think Sudeikis and Wiig are both pretty good, in general, and I'm a fan of a lot of things Nasim Pedrad does.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As much as I like Mad Men, Hamm is someone who is talented and maybe as funny as Carell. I wonder if he'll ever get those kind of parts.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Very good point. His two hosting stints on SNL were both quite strong.

Hamm and Buble was one of the better bits in the last few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted