1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 5/14

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by holy bull, May 14, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He was great at one time. His appeal on a show like this ended about 23 years ago.

Once you begin experimenting with tribal rhythms, ain't no going back.

[​IMG]

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Jay Pharoah. And yes, he should, especially considering he does a fantastic Obama impression. I hope to god Fred Armisen leaves the show after this season so Pharoah can move into the role.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this on another thread, but a few months ago someone was talking about how great Paul Simon is, and I realized I didn't have anything by him in my iTunes. I thought about downloading something, looked up his greatest hits album, and realized I hated damn near everything on it.

David Byrne was better at pillaging the third world, anyway.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seriously, has Paul Simon recorded a single listenable song since "You Can Call Me Al," which was much more of a novelty hit than a legit song?

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

OK, now FONZI made me laugh.

Fallon was in AGD? I saw Helms. I must be totally losing it. I'm not sure why they went to live action, but it was kind of a funny twist. Colbert?

6. jr/shotglass

Fallon and Helms. Colbert, Carell, Jon Hamm and Armisen were so made-up, I didn't recognize them.

Hamm and Fallon were Ace and Gary.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Yeah, I spotted Hamm right away.

8. jr/shotglass

I did a spit-take when I saw Carell in the credits.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I guess their reason for the live action must have been to supply a Where's Waldo scenario for the viewers. Kind of a cheap stunt, but still fun.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Having Buckingham show up for "What's Up With That" was a nice turn, but far from enough to save one of the most unfunny, insipid recurring sketches in SNL history (topped only by Armisen and Wiig doing their ad-lib sing-alongs on Weekend Update... and — oh, joy! — we got that tonight, too!)

Sadly, I watched the entire show tonite. It was not good. As noted before, when they rerun a faux-commercial sketch in the No. 2 slot of the night, it's a definite sign that you might be better served reading a book.

11. jr/shotglass

I think what bothers me is that the only way they're getting huge moments right now is by knocking the audience over the head with big-name cameos. Take them away, and you have a bunch of unfunny sketches. This one went right in the crapper, right after the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I still laugh at What's Up with That? and thought Ace and Garry were great although did not find the live action especially funny.

I hope the re-jig the cast with the talentless Armisen leaving.

Draft saved Draft deleted