1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL 3/12

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

http://www.hulu.com/watch/223363/saturday-night-live-comedy-tour?from=fb_share

Perhaps the best effort from a complete SNL cast in a decade.

Boston Powers-White Bernie Mac were unbelievable.
    I haven't seen the rest of the show yet, but this skit had be on the floor.

2. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Other than Betty White and Jon Hamm, Zalifianakis was the most memorable host I've seen in recent memory.

Monologue was spectacular. He and Keenan Thompson in the prison sketch were hysterical.

3. The skits I saw were very good. Best episode I have seen in a decade.
    Last few times I watched it was the Bill Hader show.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Complete with Stupid Haircut Tricks at the end again.
    And it was great to see a cast member not named Kenan in drag.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only time it's good to say, "I have diarrhea." is if you're playing scrabble.

That had me on the floor.

Very good episode. Maybe the best this season, but nowhere close to as good as the last time Timberlake hosted a couple years ago.

6. Mizzougrad96

I didn't see a thread for the 3/5 SNL, but I thought Miley Cyrus was surprisingly funny when she hosted.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Liam The Teenager Who Just Woke Up.

The only thing missing from this week's episode was a good dose of Jay Pharoah.

8. Agreed. I went in expecting very little but was pleasantly surprised. Last week's fell way short, however.

9. Mizzougrad96

Cyrus as Bieber was hilarious.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I have no clue why they don't use Jay Pharoah more. Kristen Wiig is in every god damn skit, and I hate her, but Pharoah only manages to get in maybe one skit and one Weekend Update spot a week.

I thought the Galifankis episode was the best of the season so far. And the Miley Cyrus one was pretty good, although I don't think they found much for her to do. Loved the French dancing skit, and her as Bieber. Let me put it this way - It's shocking that her episode was better than Jane Lynch's.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, it's because his writing skills are sub-par. He's not an improv guy, mainly stand-up, so I don't think he knows how to properly put a skit together.
    I'm willing to bet we will see a lot of him next season, especially as people learn to write for him.

12. Mizzougrad96

There aren't too many SNL guys ever who do much during their first season with the show. That was true for some of the biggest names who have ever been on the show. I'm sure there are a couple exceptions from when there were mass firings, but that's the way they do it there.

There's also a lot of writers there who latch on to the castmember who they think is the next movie star and they write primarily for that person, hoping they'll be taken to Hollywood with them when they hit it big, like with Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. There are a few other examples, but that's the one that jumps out at me right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted