1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

snl 1/17

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jan 18, 2009.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Last week's show with NPH was great from start to finish. This one sucked.
    The Gitmo skit was pretty damn funny, the savings bank commercial about putting money under the mattress was good, the View skit had a few laughs (as did Update) and I love Ferecito.
    But the rest was just plain crap.
    I don't understand why they wasted their last good shot at Bush (cleaning out the Oval Office, perhaps?) for a terrible one-note skit with Cheney.
    I really thought the inaguration/end of Bush's term had comedic potential, but all we got was Seth Meyers chanting "Four more days!" over a Bush mugshot.
    Very disappointed after a good fall and a good week last week.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I DVR SNL so I can skip through the dreck.

The Gitmo skit was fantastic, though.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/53457/saturday-night-live-gitmo-ad

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm the complete opposite, for what it's worth.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Me, too. Complete opposite.

I'm one of the few who has continued to defend the show -- if they hit on a couple funny skits a week, it's still worth watching, and I think people have the false idea that it used to be all hits -- but this week was, across the board, possibly the worst SNL I can ever remember.

That digital short was simply incomprehensible. Like Dan said, I wish I had someone to explain what was supposed to be funny about that.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd have turned the Bush farewell address into a Broadway musical number, something like "We Go Together" from Grease or "So Long, Farewell... from The Sound of Music" or "I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends" from Sgt. Pepper.
    I mean really a one-note joke on Cheney not having regrets?

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Cannot disagree strongly enough without hitting you with something. Scoreboard sez: SNL laughs in 2009? Zero.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

WFFW. Usually defend it, can't this week.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Save for Kristen Wiig's horrendous bit, Weekend Update was REALLY funny - especially Andy Samberg as Larry the Goose.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Last night was the first full episode I've watched in probably five years or so. I've seen all the reviews on here about how bad it's gotten, and now I see why. Last night was garbage. A couple laughs, yeah, but I kept watching for Rosario Dawson more than I did hoping for a funny skit. And the digital short was turrible.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

OK, that was pretty good.

11. highlander

highlander Member

I'm shocked anyone in the audience laughed at that Gilly skit. Stinker.

Larry the Goose on Weekend Update was pretty good.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

But it did have Roasrio Dawson in pigtails, so ...

Draft saved Draft deleted