1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snapchat back hands Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think people could get on board (a bit) with the "I don't want to work for Zuckerberg (sp?)" sentiment, but if they turned down even more money from Google, I think two things could be happening.

They're trying to drive up the price and hoping that the amount of attention they're getting does that and that they'll accept an offer sometime in the next month or so.

Or they're fucking idiots.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Nope. It's quick, easy, the snaps disappear (presumably forever) and the kids love it.

If the guy turned down $4 billion, with 20 employees, he's insane. You take that and GTFO before the bubble bursts, because it will.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In addition to dick pics, wouldn't Snapchat be a great form of communication for a criminal enterprise? Or do the messages end up on a server somewhere even if they aren't saved to your account/phone?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a story a couple days ago that said the pictures weren't actually completely deleted, that they could be found on a server.

I would think that would be a major problem for the people using this delightful app for sexting.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would think it would be a major problem for the company storing lewd pictures of underage people on its servers, for that matter.

It took me about four seconds after I first heard of SnapChat to think, well, surely you could just take a screen shot of the phone before the picture deletes.

But then that's the sort of logic that tends to escape those who find themselves texting junk photos, I suppose.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Normal people don't think about such a utility as they are off having real intercourse.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Wouldn't a screen cap function on your phone override any Snapchat benefits?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think it sends a notification to the other person if you take a screen shot. But by then, you've already got a picture of the titties.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of my favorite riches to rags stories is World Championship Wrestling.

Owned by Ted Turner, it struggled for the first half of the 90s, then added Hulk Hogan, a few other former WWF stars, and took off in 1996, and was printing money in 1997.

Then the product got stale, and the company started losing money. Big money. Like $80 million in 2000. It got caught in the AOL-Time Warner merger and Turner finally came up with a deal to sell to another company. Then one AOL-TW exec said they weren't going to televise any more shows, the deal for WCW fell through, and the value plunged. Vince McMahon bought this huge company for $4.2 million.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Any snapchat pic can be saved...just by taking a pic of your screen. I believe the person that sent it even gets a notification that they pic was saved by which person.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

'If it looks like a bubble, and floats like a bubble ...'

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/disruptions-if-it-looks-like-a-bubble-and-floats-like-a-bubble/?ref=todayspaper

Eight months ago, Snapchat was valued at $70 million. Today, it is valued at $4 billion, even though it has zero revenue.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cuban sold at the top of the first internet bubble, but it was Broadcast.com that he founded and sold, not YouTube.

Draft saved Draft deleted