1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoltz vs. Jones and athletes faking injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 24, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Well, I believe the AP writer -- can't remember if it was Newberry or Odum at Friday's game -- interpreted Smoltz's comments the same way.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As did a variety of others. Laying this off on the AJC is insane. Shoot the messenger.
    Fuckin' media!

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

No, evidently he CAN play, because he was pissed enough at Smoltz to tell Cox to put him back in the lineup. He also said he wouldn't miss any more time, and he said Smoltz better not miss a start. Well if he can do all that, why was he sitting out in the first place? I think Smoltz meant it exactly how Chipper took it, I think Smoltz was right, and I think his words had exactly the desired effect of lighting a fire under Chipper's ass.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love it when those hated Braves turn on one another and start gnawing each others' legs off. My Schadenfreude meter is pegged.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I've been a Braves fan my whole life, but I will say this: Chipper is a fragile little girl sometimes.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Couple of things...

I'm a moron. Meant to write "won" and wrote "one." Idiot.

Also, I think Smoltz knows the Braves need Chipper's bat in the lineup right now with Andruw, Frenchy and McCann all hitting like shit. He thought Chipper was healthy enough to suck it up and be the franchise guy he's supposed to be and bring his team back. Smoltz called Chipper out, and guess what? It worked. They were talking about putting him on the DL, and then all of a sudden, he hits an opposite-field home run. You could see he didn't have much leg drive on the swing, but Chipper's always had some of the quickest hands in baseball. He can turn around any fastball, and he can hit for power to all fields without the leg drive. He has to suck it up and play. If his groin is that bad, then do what you maybe should have regardless, and put him at first and Escobar at third.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Precisely.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

And keep him away from the Hooters in downtown. That is where most of his groin injuries occur.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Larry needs to relax.

10. boots

boots New Member

Actually, I think Larry is doing a good job. Again, this didn't have to leave the clubhouse. It did.

Draft saved Draft deleted