1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoltz vs. Jones and athletes faking injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

What's going on in Atlanta between John Smoltz and Chipper Jones bothers me.
    How can you tell what another person's pain threshold is? More importantly, how can you tell when an athlete (or teammate) isn't injured?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Word missing between "you" and "what" and I think it is "tell." I could wrong.

Smoltz said last night he wasn't talking about Chipper.
    I believe him [/blue type}

3. boots

boots New Member

Smoltzie is a good guy who speaks from his heart but you hear bullshit like that all of the time. It gets old. Ever go to a dentist? He'll give you as drugs as allowed to deaden pain.
    I'll never forget the bullshit J.R. Richards went through in Houston and when he had a stroke how everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

boots, slow down and include all the words. Something is missing in that second post, too. He'll give you as drugs as allowed? You on drugs??

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

J.R. Richard was one of my favorite Astros. A shame how they treated him.

Heard some great stories about his high school days when I lived near his hometown. Good stuff.

6. boots

boots New Member

Not today. My hands are faster than my computer is today for some odd reason. Keyboard may need a thorough cleaning.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

This has also been discussed on the regular baseball thread.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think C. Jones is being a tad sensitive about this. You could take what Smoltz said any number of ways. Like, "No matter who we trot out there, we expect to win." It really didn't sound like a slap at Jones. It is funny, though, that Cox one day is saying, "he might end up on the disabled list," and the next day Jones is hitting a home run.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Eww. :-X

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I agree with whoever said this could be a distraction to get everyone off of Andruw and the Braves' front office (who should be getting fried in the media for not dealing for a starting pitcher yet).

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've heard now that Smoltz went on the radio this morning and blamed the whole thing on the AJC.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Though I hate the Braves, I've always kind of liked Smoltz for being a stand-up guy. It would disappoint me if he's now blaming this on the media. I believe he was sending Chipper what he meant to be a subtle message, and he was surprised the Chipper fired back so strongly in public and turned this into a big issue. I don't think this is any planned distraction, it's the real thing.

The Braves, btw, as presently constituted, are done.

Draft saved Draft deleted