1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoker's rights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, since this situation festered for probably a half-hour before we got to tangible action, I had plenty of time to size up the situation: I had 6-8 inches and probably 100 pounds on this dude (plus I was with my brother, who is a little taller and a little stronger than me). He looked like one of the scraggly trailer-trash stoners who sit on their porches in wife-beaters and yell "fuck you" to passing cars.

As expected, he and his drunk-ass girlfriend packed up and skedaddled. Fresh air the rest of the night. ;)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have thought Starman justice would have necessitated at least 12 rows of steps.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

So you were being a bully at the concert? LOL

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

imho, in moddy's defense, i vote "yes." there should not be smoking areas in any public places, especially when non-smoking tables are adjacent to smoking tables.

my opinion is in states and public places where there are "smoking sections," those patrons should also be told that if they are requested to put out their butts they must do so.

again, imho, cigarette smokers in this day and age are among the most selfish and inconsiderate people on the planet. sacrifice your obnoxious habit as a courtesy to the rest of us who don't want to be faced with your second-hand smoke and you stinking up our clothes.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't have a problem with your yes vote. However, if I'm walking down the street, minding my own business and puffing away, you have no right to tell me to put it out just because you're walking on the same sidewalk.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Whoops. Faulty reading on my part. I thought this was inside.

Still, it is easier to hold your breath for a few steps than while driving behind a bus. This is also why you are seeing some of these bans extending to the exterior of buildings. Unless the weather is an issue, is it so hard to take a couple of steps away from the door?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i agree. i don't consider the outdoors a public place. stadiums, arenas, restauants, etc., yes. is there are smoking sections, as i said, i contend we non-smokers have a right to politely request a smoker cease and desist. and it is certainly their right to politely decline.

an a--hole's an a--hole, after all.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You want real freedom? Go to Russia. Smoking regulations are nonexistent. Same with alcohol. Cars do not require any kind of emission controls. Neither do most buildings. FDA? Fuck that, we'll eat whatever we damn want, and pharmacy will sell us most anything over the counter.

Average life of expectancy of Russian male: 55

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

There are still some considerate smokers out there. I, for one, do not walk down the street smoking my cigarette. I realize that there are many around me that don't smoke and I respect that. Having said that, if I go into a bar that is a smoking bar, I will smoke. I don't have a problem moving to another side of a table, or moving my ashtray, so that it is not obviously bothering nonsmokers that I notice might be near me. However, it is a smoking bar, and I will be smoking in it. I also know that there are other nonsmoking bars in town. I made the choice to come to a smoking one so that I would enjoy my visit. A nonsmoker has the same choice to go to a nonsmoking bar to enjoy their visit. As for restaurants that have smoking and nonsmoking sections, yes, I agree that it pretty much means nothing. For the most part, I always sit in the nonsmoking section. Unless I am with another smoker. If there is a nonsmoker in the group? Always nonsmoking. It's possible to still be a respectful smoker.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Many of you youngsters out there may not remember when there were smoking sections on airplanes. Thinking back, that's almost unbelievable--from a safety perspective as well as a courtesy. Different times, for sure.

Woe to the non-smoker who got the last row of the non smoking section in row 21, when row 22 on back fired up as soon as the light went off.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I fondly recall those days. Made traveling much easier IMO.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The low life expectancy is because of poor state-run health care!

Draft saved Draft deleted