1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoker's rights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 29, 2009.

1. partain

partain Member

Simple solution is just to wait for the smoker to die. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Seriously though, I'm thankful to live in a state where all public buildings are smoke-free. Of course, that means there will be a cloud of smoke hanging over the entrance of all buildings. But I can hold my breath for a minute while walking through such a cloud. Can't hold my breath through an entire dinner.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you hold your breath when you driving behind a bus, partain?

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

I was in Vegas about seven or eight years ago playing poker at the Mandalay Bay, back when you could smoke at poker tables. A guy sat down a few seats to my right, and when I lit up started harping on me. "Would you mind not smoking, I'm kind of sensitive to that." I looked up and the guy had the biggest freaking nostrils I've ever seen. You probably could have jammed a billiard ball in there.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Far fewer "rights" exist for any of us than most people think, smokers and nonsmokers.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really think that is the same thing?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Seems kinda freedom-like. But the left is working to change that.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If it's a clearly labeled section in which smoking is permitted, the non-smoker may ASK the smoker to put it out. He/she may agree/refuse at his option. At this point if the non-smoker doesn't like it, his option is to demand to be moved to a non-smoking area, or leave.

If smoking is clearly posted as NOT permitted, it's a whole nother deal. I once threw a fucker down 10 rows of concrete steps at a Rolling Stones concert after he continued to torch up and blow smoke on us after I, 1) asked him politely to stop, 2) asked him not at all politely to stop, 3) asked an usher (who apparently had other things to do) to intervene, 4) told him in no uncertain terms to put the mother fucking cigarette out.

When his response to that was a laugh, all systems were go for launch. :D :D

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, the bus fumes are much worse than walking past a few people smoking OUTSIDE a restaurant.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I kind of always wondered how you'd respond in a situation where anger actually was the appropriate response.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I believe Virginia's law goes into effect in December. No smoking in bars or restaurants unless you have a closed-off deck or other structure added to your property. I love it. Nothing worse than going out and smelling like a chimney after five minutes.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, of course, it seems "freedom-like" to you because you're too dense the grasp the concept of public health.

Want to smoke? Do it at home where you have the freedom to poison your family.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Star, I can't help but laugh, especially when you write "all systems were go for launch."
    You were lucky. I've seen much worse happen to people at concerts. In my neck of the woods, as soon as you launched your missile, return fire would've followed almost immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted