1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up losers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I truly don't have a problem with an adult smoking marijuana on occasion.

But, this is the case with nearly every marijuana smoker I know.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Pot is no different to alcohol in that certain people can become addicted and it can change them and their lives for the worse, and certain people can use it for pleasure and be moderate about it and it enhances their enjoyment of life.

I never get drunk anymore, but I like pot. I find that it makes a meal or a concert or sex that much more of an experience. But I don't expect everyone to like it. What I do find hypocritical is the legality of booze and cigarettes but the illegality of pot. That's why I support legalization. My getting a little high is no different substantively than someone have a couple of beers after cutting the grass. It shouldn't be a crime.

But, like alcohol, we should try to make sure our kids don't use it, you shouldn't smoke and drive, and when used in excess, it's a problem. I'd rather hang out with high people than drunk people any day of the week—you're a lot less likely to get punched, for starters—but I don't need to hang out with someone who's high all the time, either.

Just the facts ma am and Slacker like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am agnostic to the legality or not of pot. It is legal in many places in California. I know that I would rather walk by a bar and not smell anything as people are boozing, rather than walk by a place where people are smoking and have that s*** on my clothes.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It does not smell great. That is true. I never smoke indoors.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Marijuana has many more applications medicinally than alcohol.

And you don’t have to smoke it to get them. Edibles can be a boon to cancer patients or folks suffering MS or glaucoma.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is the part that concerns me. I've no need for something that makes junk food even more enticing.

Does pot do anything for the taste of kale?

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One word:

Edibles.

EDIT: Az beat me to it.

8. poindexter

I don't think that anybody is arguing that.

My limited experience with adults, not teens, smoking pot, is that it is pretty addictive. Now that I think of it, we visited my brother in law earlier this year. Great guy. I hadn't seen him in five years, we were there for five hours, and he had to excuse himself to go out and 'smoke' and as we sat and visited, he was constantly fiddling with his stuff.

My small experiences of adult pot smokers is that it is pretty addictive.

9. poindexter

A third couple we know - also older, are into the edibles. To their credit, they don't talk about it.

They showed us the pot butter. Now that stuff truly smells awful. Good god.

10. Dick Whitman

The one thing I always say in favor of alcohol, which seems to take a beating in these discussions, is that it isn't solely for use for its chemical events. It is also food. Last night I sat on my deck and nursed a glorious Founders KBS stout. It is about 12 percent alcohol - pretty high, actually - but I didn't notice any effects and I certainly wasn't drinking it for the effects. It's just really good.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My experience with adult pot smokers tells me they’re no different than other people who don’t realize they’re addicted to something.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Mrs. Whitman and I were in Colorado last year and bought some edibles. Being the amateurs we are, we both took too much, because I didn't take the guy behind the counter at his word that 5 mg was a nice starter dose. (I took 10 and then, when the effects didn't start within 10-15 minutes, popped another 10.)

I was basically non-functional for the rest of the night because that shit lasts forever.

As my friend who lives in Fort Collins told me when I was out to see him this winter: "Those guys behind the counter? They've been stoned since sixth grade. If he tells you it's too much, it's probably too much!"

doctorquant, Batman and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted