1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Smoke 'em out" - Obama bringing hate groups out of their holes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 22, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Ignoring the abortion debate for a moment, I can't believe anybody thinks James Dobson is an expert on scripture. Surely you forgot the blue font here, right?
    Hell, I'd be glad to debate scripture with James Dobson. Hating people in the name of God doesn't make you holy.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Christianity that James Dobson and his ilk practice has been run through a muddy gutter.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And what brand Christianity do you choose? What did Dobson say that contradicts scripture?
    Not that I'm assuming scripture matters to you because your brand may be the no brand.

4. ScribePharisee

Do you know any woman who has had an abortion? Who walked away from the sound of the machine that destroys that which was in her...the vaccuum like sound, and feels good about it?

5. ScribePharisee

All I know is, the people who witness to youth about drug use who are most effective are former drug users.

Within that scenario, of the women I know who have had abortions, they wouldn't do it again. What does that tell you about "feel"? Sometimes, our conscience makes sense.

And if not them, those who have lived it are worth listening to before the theorists on either side.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If you can find a passage in scripture that suggests that being gay is a sin, you let me know.

My brand of Christianity doesn't include fearmongering and bigotry.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22

I don't agree with it; I just figured I'd spare you a GOTCHA! moment from ScribePharisee.

Of course, I don't think it's possible to follow every tenet of the Bible.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

True enough--I don't think the Bible is meant to be followed to the letter. The spirit of Christ's message is so contradictory to the bile spewed by Dobson.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -- Mahatma Gandhi

10. ScribePharisee

It's not just one gotcha:
    1 Corithians 6:9-10
    9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor practicing homosexuals
    10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1: 9-10
    9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,
    10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers. And it is for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine.

Now of course, that refers to "practicing" and not having the tendency. But it also lumps those who have cheated on their spouses and, dare I say it, a hell of a lot of things that would send Wasington D.C. sliding into Hell like floodwaters into the Potomac. Acknowledging we're an imperfect people in many ways is the first step toward solutions. Even 12-steppers know that.

Eliminate all of the above - we're swapping slave trading with a growing trend in employer-employee relations - and we're a better society. And in saying that, I'm not singling out homosexuality over any other mentioned sin. I'm just saying to keep one or wipe out all the wrong, I'd take the latter. This is a messed up world in many ways, and I think that'ss why we need God....not just as a judge, but in relationship.

11. ScribePharisee

What made Christ so attractive? He wasn't any of the above. ANY of the above. And that made him pure, and pure is something we all seem to strive for, secretly or otherwise. Christ sure wasn't greedy.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're not only clueless, you're an asshole. But everyone already knows that about you. She's real. She exists. And she regrets what she did and abhors the industry that suckered her into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted