1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG Peter Abraham interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 4, 2008.

1. And, of course, here come the comments on a baseball fan site (re: Abraham's 70-80 hour work week comment):

4. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: April 04, 2008 at 11:57 AM (#2730456)

Its probably much less time if you are actually literate and learn how to really type.

2. Bad link.

3. No, you've got to register.
    That's always annoyed me about that site.

4. Well, fuckabuncha that.
    I like Peter Abraham but, no...

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i got it without registering.

you don't have to.

good interview. he's a pro.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I tried to get it without registering and it wouldn't let me. After I registered, I tried to copy and paste the interview here, but the damned Bad Request command popped up.

That pointlessness aside, SMG grabbed one hell of an interesting interview. SMG is what TBL would be, if TBL had a bit of ethics to him.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

Sometimes I get the interviews, sometimes I don't. I've tried to register but never received confirmation back - too many glitches for me to bother with anymore, and that's too bad.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

found this post on Baseball Think Factory vis-a-vis the interview:

What do you look to a beat writer for? I don't want his analysis, and with ESPN and the internet, you don't need just those 1-2 guys following a club to break daily news anymore. I'm trying to think of the times that I actually seek out the beat writers' stories - the first thing leaps to mind is Spring Training, where half of what they report is color/background info on what type of guy Brian Schneider is, what Moises Alou did during the offseason, and Nelson Figueroa's curious path back to the majors through Mexico and Taiwain.

You're right, we don't need them for hard news any more. And I don't give a **** about the color stuff, so that's why I find them largely useless.

The most pathetic thing you can read on a blog is the sheeple posting that Mainstreamer has no sources.

Unfortunately, most of them don't. The guys like Robo add real value.

I think the real issue is that we're going from a world with 2000 (totally made up number) professional baseball writers and zero bloggers/amateurs to a world of 500 professionals and 10,000 bloggers/amateurs.

9. Yeah, baseball writers never break any news. Great point, guy.

::)

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

of course he's misguided - beat reporters are the backbone.

but you wonder why and how he came to that point - and how many fans think the same way...

11. A lot of it is because those fans confuse what beat writers do:

* Keep up with the on-field and business side of the daily operation with what the Rob Neyers of the world do, which is ...

* Crunch the numbers.

There is room for both, and one doesn't diminish the other. But don't try telling that to the lunatic fringe.

Draft saved Draft deleted