1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SMG on a roll: Thomas Boswell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 14, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Q. How did you start at the Post?

A. After college I had planned to go to Naval Officer Candidate School, but a bad knee prevented that. I was thinking about law school. But my dentist knew the guy who had my current job, Bob Addie, and my dentist talked to him and Addie said 'don't go through Personnel' and he took me to the Sports Editor.

With this top-flight back door intro I got the lowest job at the Washington Post, a part-time copy boy for a couple of days a week on the lobster shift, stripping agate and answering phones. I covered the same high school football game for six years, St. John's-DeMatha. What happens is that you write a six-graf story and they put your byline on it and they hook you.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

EnablingSPN

TK knows the game. I respect that. And I understand the very real possibility that all the cheats will (excepting the Court of Public Opinion)
    essentially get away with it.

I'm not cutting Andy P an inch of slack. He cheated to make himself look good at a crucial juncture, and his action has enabled him to earn a considerable chunk of cash, since.

Buyer, beware.

It's too bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted