1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart Americans moving to Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Aug 1, 2007.

1. What are we talking about, 10,000 people one way, 23,000 the other way?

These aren't exactly huge numbers.

Sounds like someone's agenda needs a driver. Although Canada is a perfectly fine country, save for a fair number of smug attitudes.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, like American's aren't smug.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Americans must be fleeing low taxes, a stable foreign policy and faith-based domestic agenda.
    When is the US and A gonna build a wall to the north to protect against terrorists and drug smugglers?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or more correctly, when will the Canadians build a wall to keep out the disaffected Yanks trying to mooch off their social safety net?

5. Many Canadians are in a class by themselves in that department.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I've seen Americans abroad. No one is more smug, arrogant and classless than traveling Americans.

Canadians are proud of who they are and their country.

That's not a terrible thing, no matter what you may think.

7. Nice blanket statements. Where do I begin here?

Maybe you should try asking Greeks what they think of German tourists. Or Czechs what they think of British tourists. Or what many of them think of Canadians, who can't walk outside without being draped from head to toe in the maple leaf.

Why, exactly, is the quality you laud in Canadians used as a cudgel against Americans?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Difference is, dolt, that whereas Canadians are proud of their heritage, Americans just scream louder and louder, demanding that the rest of the world speak English--even when visiting non-English speaking countries.

Also, I have spent time around a great many Canadians and they ain't decked out in red, white and the maple leaf. Unless they're at a hockey game.

9. I was referring to many Canadians abroad, not domestically.

I've seen German tourists screaming at Italian waiters for not speaking German. I've seen British yobs breaking bottles and vomiting in the streets of Prague. I've even seen a Canadian loudly proclaim in Vienna that the coffee at McDonald's was the best he's had in Austria -- a place where coffee was damn near perfected.

And yes, I've seen some Americans act shabbily overseas. But I've also seen some try to speak the local language and abide by local customs.

No country has a monopoly on boorish behavior. I've been to every continent except Africa, and I can tell you Americans get an unfair rap for this. Because there are cretins all over the place.

Including, apparently, the person to whom I'm writing this reply.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

As Lyman proves with every post.

11. Calling you a cretin would be an insult to cretins, I'm afraid.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm a cretin because I would move to Canada? Spnited's a cretin because he pointed out how much of an obnoxious asshole you are?

Draft saved Draft deleted