1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smallest airport you've used (commercially)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey, we have a thread on the worst airport, and how bad Atlanta sucks. Lots of horror stories.

But what's the smallest commercial airport you've flown into/from?

Recently I left/returned to an airport that has two commercial flights a day, to the same location, so that's my leader. Small waiting room, vending machine and a coffee-expresso cart for drinks. But the parking was free and about 30 yards from the "terminal," the luggage was unloaded within five minutes, and it saved me an hour both ways to the local mega-port.

I've flown into some pretty small airports (Pullman, Lewiston, Yakima, Moses Lake, Laramie, Grand Forks, Governor's Harbor, Bahamas, to name a few) but never one that tiny.

And the smaller the airport, the more thorough the pre-flight security screening, or so it seems. Maybe they don't have enough else to do.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Westchester County gets the nod here. Not too bad an airport, although I strongly advise against taking a flight out of there on a Monday morning; it's an absolute circus.

I'm going to fly out of Palmdale, CA one of these days soon, which when I do, will take the crown.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I flew out of the Wenatchee, Washington, airport and it was pretty small.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Parkersburg, W.Va. I think there were four or five flights a day at the time.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Carlsbad north of San Diego is quite small. 36-passenger prop planes, breeze through security, one runway. And on some flights its prices are moderately competitive.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. We weren't allowed off the plane--it barely slowed down long enough for one soldier to get on the Ozark prop-jet and off we went to St. Louis.

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

Panama City, Fla., 20 years ago. Unmemorable.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chattanooga

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Bluegrass Airport (Lexington)

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Cortez, CO. Three flights in and out a day. 20-seaters only to Denver. One ticket counter. Load your luggage underneath. Propellers and such. Great views of the Rockies though.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Owensboro, Ky. You know you're on a small plane when they rearrange you so the plane's weight is balanced.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Placencia, Belize

Tin shack and an asphalt strip. You pay for seats on the planes so it's a commercial airport.

Domestically? Killeen, Texas. Scratch that. Key West.

Draft saved Draft deleted