1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smaller lump of coal this year, Cratchit!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And a very Merry Christmas from Paddock Publications to its employees:

http://poynter.org/forum/?id=32127

As posted on Romenesko site:

Romenesko Memos
    Back in July, Doug Ray told his Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Ill.) staff that salaries would be reduced 5%, but that "we expect the 5% to be reinstated early next year." He now says the pay cut is permanent. "We had hoped for a different outcome, but we believe this is the most prudent course of action. ...This was a difficult decision, but one that hopefully will eliminate the need for another round of layoffs and other significant cost cutting." The Daily Herald -- the third-largest paper in Illinois -- is owned by Paddock Publications.

Is there really a thread on this board about raises? Raises? Hahahahahahahaha!

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Is there anyone who really believed those "reductions" would be "reinstated"? Come on, you'd have to be really gullible to believe that. When they cut, they cut.

Regardless, this sucks for Daily Herald employees. It's a fine publication.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

also, from what I've gathered, nothing ever eliminates the need for another round of cuts and layoffs.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A supervisor is stupid to say "we expect to reinstate the money." Stay quiet and if somehow you're able to do it, you come out smelling like ... well, not a rose, maybe a two-week old carnation. Taking that 5 percent to start still sucks.

5. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Like Doug gives a shit. I'm sure he'll get a management bonus.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's the thing. A lot of the times they do. At my first paper, publisher got a bonus of we made our profit margin, 20 percent.

So the publisher tried everything to cut corner so they could get their bonus and we knew it. And all we got were fucking Kroger coupons, and one year a fleece jacket from the company. Merry fucking Christmas.

Last paper had a wage freeze for a 1 1/2 years, I was shocked when it was lifted. I was told raises were 3 percent after my first six months then another 3 percent after my first year, then 3 percent per year after that. RIIIGGGHHHTTT!

I was quite naive about that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted