1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small town takeover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is this a paper where you can put your stamp on the section? What have previous SEs done or does the paper go through an SE every year or two? If there has been a lot of turnover, don't try to shake things up too much and keep you clips updated.

2. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

All righty. I just sent the section a bit ago (we're an afternoon paper) and all went well. No InDesign crashes, no computer meltdowns, all is ... calm (for now). And it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined (although I did cut it pretty close to deadline).

I guess I should have mentioned earlier that I worked at this paper for nearly a year before I moved on to a corporate magazine job (big mistake) and was fortunate enough to get a call back when word came that the former SE was leaving. And, Stitch, he was here nine years, so there's not a whole lot of turnover, I suppose. But the editors here seem fairly care free and let you do what you want, as long as it's good work. Hopefully with some of the ideas I have and changes for the section, they'll let me run free, but, like Baron said, I don't plan on coming in and changing things right away, especially with seasons about to pick back up and new seasons about to start.

And a big thanks to all of you for the advice. There was a lot of stuff I would have never thought about or simple things I would have looked over.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Glad to hear the first one went well.

It's always wonderful when InDesign works.

I have a couple of thoughts, starting with:

1. You have gotten some great advice so far!

2. Having worked there before helps, but I will still go back and look at the papers from last January and the January before. One of the best things an editor ever told me is that you don't ever really know a paper until you have worked one year-long "cycle." I can tell you that has absolutely been ntrue for me. I am beginning my second year at this paper, and a lot of last year's experienfce helped make this year's holiday papers better.

3. The advice about getting out is excellent. I would also work at getting headshots of all coaches, ADs and some of the top players.

4. Listen, listen listen. When you're having coffee, listen to what people are talking about. The same at the paper, at games and anywhere else.

5. Finally, personally, I would get through the first month, or more, without making any changes.

Good luck! Sounds like you are serious and thoughtful about what you are doing. That gives you a leg up.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Some good advice here. I'll add one more thought:

With a small sports staff and a carefree editor, you may not have anyone giving your copy the red pen treatment. If your articles are published verbatim because nobody is around to edit them, you won't grow as a writer.

Find a few trusted folks -- from this site or elsewhere -- who can edit your non-deadline stuff (or give feedback on your deadline stuff later).

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Always shoot extra stuff at your games...you never know when I sideline shot of a coach or an extra action shot of a player may come in handy. Find a place to archive shots at least for the past year.

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

Have fun. And I don't mean that to be trite. After all, sports is fun, and sports sections should be as well.

You probably have a long list of story ideas about digging deeper and turning over rocks, and those are all fine and good. But also think about what will make your section a must read on a regular basis, whether it's a recurring feature or a daily staple.

Think T.J. Simers, without trying to be T.J. Simers.

Think boxer-or-briefs type questions, without the dreaded boxer-or-briefs type question.

Make sure your section has personality and it'll come alive.

But the key, given the resources at your disposal, is to make it practical. If it's something you can do only once a month, that's great. If it's something you'll be able to implement every day, then all the better. Whatever it is, don't try to overdo it. Just have fun with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted