1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small-town gossip moves to the Web

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of "Topix" before, but apparently it was originally intended to be a news site for small towns. What it has turned into is a corner of the Internet where small-town and rural gossip can go on unabated:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us/small-town-gossip-moves-to-the-web-anonymous-and-vicious.html?_r=1&hp

Very interesting. Reminds me of the early days of SportsJournalists.com, in fact, when you could change your username with each post and people were pumping themselves and their friends for every job opening in America. I shouldn't have been, but I was a little surprised there is still a place for that kind of Internet gossip. Apparently it's tearing some small towns apart in the Ozarks and Appalachia. The NYT story mentions a town of 365 people with 107 of them on that town's Topix site at one time.

2. TOPIX is pretty big in rural W.Va.
    Ideal for small town gossip in our little corner of the world.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

that "town" is Tim Couch's hometown.

Also,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topix_%28website%29

I can't find it now, and it might not have been topix, but there was a story a few years back about some guy who lost custody of his kid and was accused of murder and drugs or something on a similar site. It was horrific to read the things people were just putting out there.

4. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

This is wild. Nice piece of reporting too.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I recall some site called something like Juicy College a few years ago which served the same purpose on college campuses.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yep. I was in college when that got going. If I recall my school sent out a notice to all students that the site is no longer allowed and people posting could be punished or something along those lines. It was a front page story for the student paper which I was working for at the time.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We hate Topix. Part of it is because people who read the local town's forum, which is full of libel and trash, think our paper controls it. We even ran a story on how we don't run it and that the guy who runs it is completely unconcerned about how random people post things about other random people just for the sake of slinging mud.

Top topics usually just have a person's name as the title of the thread. The first post will be along the lines of "I think she's a slut and she should stay away from my man!" or "That son of a bitch is a drug pusher!" And then each response just builds upon it.

Appropriate and timely oversight? If that means "no oversight whatsoever," then it's an accurate statement.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Topix is vile. Copying and pasting entire articles from our site is bad enough. But the personal stuff is way over the line.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. They should just call it Toxic.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Topix = cesspool of stupidity

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Topix is where YouTube commentors go to graduate school.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's unfair .... to cesspools.

Draft saved Draft deleted