1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small shop peeps who belong in the big time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, Jun 30, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I thought it was Todd M. Adams. But what's in a name, anyway?

2. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Correct. That's the kind of thing Todd M. Adams never would mess up. Clearly, I'm no Todd M. Adams.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know this girl in North Adams called Krystal that's looking for an NFL beat ...

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I could only hope Todd M. Adams would never mess up his name. That would kinda suck.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Knew a great photographer at a weekly paper. Not a great guy, but excellent eye for photos. But he hated leaving his hometown. Even hated going on the road to cover state tourneys.
    Everyone tried to get him to move on, but he didn't want to leave home.
    Probably the best photographer I've ever worked with.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The photog at my shop is in demand because she takes brilliant photos. About the only thing she doesn't do brilliantly is sports photography. Even then she's just solid.

She has a great eye for photos and takes great care with shot composition. She's taught me a lot about photojournalism in the time I've been at my shop.

She could legitimately work for a big daily instead of the weekly where we ply our trade.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When I hit bottom in the early 1990s and, on a dead-cat bounce, wound up working at a Virginia weekly with the kind of staff you could never put together now, there were a couple of shooters I dealt with, one on our staff and one in the next town over.

I always thought they were so much better than what they were doing. I kept telling them that. Finally, they both decided all the people telling them that might have been right.

Last time I looked, one was shooting for Congressional Quarterly and the other was working for the Economist Newspaper Group in D.C. Both do kick-ass work at that level and really distinguished themselves on 9-11.

8. Sea_Pappy

Sea_Pappy New Member

Todd M. Adams not only can write his ass off, he is one of the best-dressed newspaper men you'll find in this post-1940s world. He does this thing where he leaves the top two shirt buttons unbottoned. Genius.

Hung out with him one time in Sioux City. He kept having to leave, though, to look for a cash machine.

9. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Todd Adams' tears cure cancer. Problem is, Todd Adams never cries.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ah, let the newbie stupidity flow.

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

Baseball guy at Beaver County Times. His name escapes me.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Ah, Spnited, just because are older than the both of them combined... doesn't mean you have to ruin their fun... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted