1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small Colorado daily draws flak for football photo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Not what I said. I said teenagers, especially, can't handle the downs. There's a lot of people who can't deal with disappointment, and that includes the vast majority of teenagers. I said nothing to the effect that most resort to suicide.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone enjoys disappointment.

And if the vast majority of teenagers can't deal with it, what does that mean?

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

There's a difference between "enjoying" and knowing how to handle it. There are a lot of situations in life we don't enjoy, but most don't know how to deal with it. Those who can accept it, learn from it and move on are, obviously, better off, but it comes with experience and trials and tribulations, something teenagers aren't often afforded at their age.

4. doogie448

doogie448 Member

This thread got me thinking about the one story I wrote that I guess angered some people. I'll provide the link below, but the short version is during a baseball game a catcher had a brain fart and tried to throw out a guy stealing second, overthrew the bag and allowed the winning run to score from third giving the other team the conference title. His coach called it a mental mistake, it was. The opposing coach called it a fluke play, he was being nice. You can read the comments for yourself, but to this day I still don't know what I wrote that was so terrible. The assistant SE read it and ran it almost exactly as I wrote it. I never heard word one about from the SE or anybody higher up the totem pole. I never got a phone call or email, just the comments, easier to be pissy when your name isn't attached to it I suppose.

http://qctimes.com/sports/high-school/baseball/article_6480a066-6aba-11de-ad5c-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If a kid kills himself because of something written in the paper, he has more problems than the story

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, people with no journalistic ethics do tend to disagree with me. They don't mind lying to their readers.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I covered a JC baseball game under similar circumstances, a guy over-hustled and cost his team the game.
    They were visitors in a playoff game that went into extra innings. Bottom of the 10th, the home team had a runner on third, one out. The batter hit a fly ball down the left field line that went foul. The left fielder went after it and made a spectacular diving catch. Except as he skidded into the bullpen, the runner on third tagged up and scored easily. Game over. If he had let the ball go, his team is still playing.
    The coach just shook his head. How can he criticize a guy for hustling. But he made a mistake and it was too bad for the team.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Here the game announcer is handed a script noting all the state association's sponsors, including Maxpreps as the "official photographer." Doesn't stop folks from asking us for prints, or going to our web site for same.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll relay a similar story involving homer radio. One night I was filling in as a color commentator, because the game was postponed by weather from Friday night to Monday night. A home team player breaks his leg at the ankle. I could tell the PBP guy, who is one of my good friends, was hesitating on calling out his number and injury, so I said who it was, and quickly said something like, it looks like they're working on his leg or ankle. Thank goodness it doesn't appear to be a head or neck injury. We go to a break, and my friend rips for me giving out the name and injury on the air. Knowing he was new at live sports coverage (though very good, considering), and not wanting to start an argument, I just let it roll off my back. The next day, I got a call from the kid's father, who couldn't get off of work to go the postponed game. He thanked me, because he was able to get to his car by the time his phone rang. He said it saved him a good five minutes. Five minutes probably doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, until it's your kid.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just came across this on the AP wire. Such a pretty shot. Kudos to the Janesville photog.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In this week's SI, the photos of the year edition, there's a big photo from a high school wrestling tournament. One kid is clearly biting the arm of the other. In the blurb from the photog who shot it, she mentioned it was a "controversial" photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted