1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small airports suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 14, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You can still do this at many, many small airports.

My mom's favorite airport is Valdosta, GA., mostly for the free parking. When you're gone a week it (and the lower comparative price) offsets the hundred extra miles she drives to get there.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My favorite is the passenger who is either an idiot or has never flown before and TSA has to help him or her put everything in the proper bins.

That never gets old....

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Small airports are the worst... There's the infamous Golden Triangle Regional. Columbus, GA is another one that is brutal. Gainesville is dreadful. There are a couple in Indiana and Oklahoma that are beyond terrible as well... I used to have to go to ones in the Dakotas that were unimaginable as well. That was awhile back, so I can only hope it's improved.

Medium-sized airports are the best... Knoxville, Columbia (S.C.), Green Bay, Tucson... Just efficient as hell, shorter waits for rental cars and baggage...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's another good one...

It's not a small or medium airport, but my favorite airport is Detroit. Least favorite of the big ones would be O'Hare by about a thousand miles.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Personally, I love the passengers who put all their stuff in the bins and then don't push them onto the belt. It's like they think they can move the bin into the X-ray machine by telepathy.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Detroit is pretty painless. I also like it, but for some reason, rarely connect through it.

I'm going to get the full-blown O'Hare experience on my next two flights as I originate out of there for some west coast and Hawaii travel. Fortunately, both are direct flights.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

OK, Detroit's airport is quite interesting to me. It has the single worst terminal I have ever been in and the single nicest terminal I have ever been in. My first flight through Detroit was in the shitty terminal. I couldn't believe how absolutely awful it was.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was visiting family in NJ in June. Flew back to Cali out of Philadelphia, as usual.
    However, during the trip I lost my license. I don't know what happened to it, but it disappeared.
    I didn't think much of it until I was in line at the aiport, and then I freaked a little.

No worries, though. TSA let me through with a Costco card.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

I often fly into the smaller airports around Florida like Jacksonville and Tallahassee and Pensacola and they're all great. I guess here in Florida, small is a relative thing. By far my least favorite large airport in the world is MIA. Fortunately I usually fly out of FLL, which is fine.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've flown into Saipan, Guam, Palau, Bacolod, Lagos, Iowa City, Fresno, Sacramento, Long Beach, Anaheim, Bakersfield, Reno.
    I think those are the smallest.
    Cleveland - that was pretty small but bigger than those others.

Anyway, didn't really bother me.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The worst thing about small airports: small planes

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Small planes fuck up my sinuses something fierce. The way they pressurize messes with me or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted