1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sly Stone in Vanity Fair

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Huggy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

If you haven't checked it, pick up the remastered "Riot." It's a completely different record, like the difference between regular TV and HD.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr jones,

The one I got. It's ***** good. Now the murk is clear. Like mud with distilled water.

YHS, etc

3. Damn, TD.
    There's nothing to believe in any more.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

While I like Sly, do you all think he is really the Italian Stallion?

5. boots

boots New Member

It truly boggles the mind. Half of you who have commented on Sly don't even know anything about him. If it weren't for google, which incidentally is not the best search engine on the net, you would be totally lost.
    Hell, half of you aren't even old enough to recall the man playing before sold out arenas (when he showed up).
    While I respect everyone's right to comment, I resent people talking smack about a true genius and pioneer of music.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And of course, there has been exactly one negative comment about Sly, and that was regarding Sly being too messed up to perform at a concert. Otherwise, nobody's "talking smack" about Sly.

Actually reading the thread might help.

7. boots

boots New Member

I read the thread. More importantly, I read the posts of people just talking out the sides of their necks about a true musical icon they only know about by googling.
    Again, I respect everyone's opinion here. I just wish those who talked what I perceive as smack about a true legend, knew what they were talking about.
    Unless you are a musician or musically inclined, and you are under 40, you have probably never seen him perform live. You don't know what those three letters did to fans in the late '60's, early '70's. Jimi's dead. Janis is dead so are Lennon and Harrison but the force still lives with Sly.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does this mean we can't talk about Mozart either ?

Story had potential but writer lost me when he used "I" twice in his first sentence. I wanted to read about Sly not about the writer.

Looking back what was interesting about Sly was that he was able to integrate his style into rock and roll era. I wonder if today sly would have been a rapper instead.

9. boots

boots New Member

Boom, Sly, just like James Brown, was rapping before people know what rapping was. His musical rifts are legendary but it will be interesting to see if today's computer generation can relate to his style.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sly was trippin not wrappin. Everyone know that Blondie invented Rapping.

Now can anyone track down The Chambers Brothers?

11. boots

boots New Member

Yeah, he was high a lot but he was Sly.

Draft saved Draft deleted