1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slump-busting blowup dolls in the White Sox locker room: offensive?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 6, 2008.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I was going for the cheeky response, but I think it's patently offensive. I do not buy any argument rationalizing the blatant subjugation of women- whether it takes place in a locker room or elsewhere.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I hope they used their pink Breast Cancer Awareness bats. Make their moms and wives so proud.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

And groupies. And mistresses ... and bastards ...

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I just don't feel this is offensive.

It is not directed at females. It is not intended to embarrass any particular female. Has any current member of the White Sox ever been accused of harrassing/harming a woman? (I honestly don't know the answer.) What I'd also be curious to know is if Ms. Slezak has ever felt uncomfortable covering the team. Because, if she has, that's relevant.

Otherwise, the dolls are juvenile and stupid, but there is no intent to offend.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

Intent is not a prerequisite of offensiveness, though.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It should be.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's their locker room though. It's not like it was a public display at the entrance to the ballpark. In your own privacy have you ever said anything offensive, even in good fun?

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

As mentioned previously, all of us who have covered baseball know that players are quite adept at keeping themselves and whatever they want in the areas that are not open to the media in the clubhouse. This time they chose to make it out in the open, so that appears to be a conscious decision. So, if they chose to make it public (at least non-private), then they should have to deal with all range of reaction.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Here's a legitimate problem I have with locker room access: female reporters have full access to MLB/NFL/etc. locker rooms, but (as far as I know) male reporters can't get anywhere near WTA locker rooms.

I'll flat out say it... if a female reporter can interview whoever the hot young stud pitcher in a towel is, then I want to interview Maria Sharapova in a towel!

In seriousness, though, is there not a double standard with access?

I still have nightmares of doing postgames with one former geezerly Major League manager (when he was wrapping up his career in the minors) bare ass naked with a beer in his hand on a nightly basis. "Seriously, keep your damn pants on for 15 minutes."

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

I'm with you in theory, Joe, but then you glance around at the press box illuminati and the way they react to a female PR person in a polo shirt and you shudder to think what would happen in other circumstances.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

perhaps they did it to keep everyone from talking about their poor play. Premeditated subterfuge.

12. And, thereby, the bar near my house who put up a display of stuffed gorillas on MLK Day can argue that they didn't "mean" to offend people and, therefore, nobody can call anything offensive if they're not capable of reading minds.
    Sorry, EF, no sale.
    And joe, in tennis, there is no locker room access. For anyone. Therefore, no equal access question. Women in the locker room got settled 30 years ago. Come on.

Draft saved Draft deleted