1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slumdog Millionaire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by westcoastvol, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It is the FAVORITE among the dramas nominated for the Golden Globes, and the betting's not close.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just saw this movie. Pretty good. Some boring parts here and there but it is worth a rental, or a few bucks at the second run theatre.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Agreed. Those are some fantastic films.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Seeing this tomorrow. We'll see.

5. Such a great movie, I second the notion that if you haven't seen it, go out and do so ASAP.

It is truly amazing that a movie about such a depressing setting could have such verve and life and have you leaving the theater completely uplifted.

Of course, you could just go for Latika alone. She could just be the most beautiful woman on earth. Seriously.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Also, another movie worthy of a look is The Namesake. It stars Kal Penn and the guy who plays the dad in it is also in Slumdog. It's about the immigrant experience in America. Kal plays a second generation Indian American torn between two cultures.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Namesake tore my heart out.

Kal Penn as opposite from Kumar Patel as possible.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Saw it last night. After about a half hour, I turned to Mr. Lugs and said, "I'm not sure I can do this."

He said, "Do you want to stop the DVD?"

And I remembered what you guys posted, and I was like, "This could be Best Picture, I guess I have to keep going."

Glad I did, but I had no idea how distrubing the beginning would be.

That said, it's my Best Picture so far.

Supposedly loosely based on a true story... Can't wait to read more about that.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's the same thing that happened with Crash. "Too many coincidences." All that crap. The coincidences are the point, for God's sake. It's a movie. It's not a coincidence for two gay men to wind up in the same tent on the side of a lonely mountain? But I digress ...
    Slumdog Millionaire is my favorite movie of the decade.
    It will rank with Pulp Fiction from the 90s, Local Hero from the 80s and Rocky from the 70s. It stays with you for days, weeks and, I'm betting, months and years.
    Beautifully written, beautifully shot, beautifully rendered and beautifully acted given that the main characters are shown at 3 different life stages. Danny Boyle should be handed Best Director right now.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Do not sully Slumdog by intimating there is remotely the contrived coincidental horseshit there was littered throughout Crash.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So I've sinned by comparing to a Best Picture winner and one of the best films of the decade.
    I'm so ashamed.

12. Simon_Cowbell

An utterly bought Best Picture.

An embarrassing shitstain on a pretty good Academy record. Right up there with How Green Was My Valley

Draft saved Draft deleted