1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slumdog kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 25, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read this with my jaw on the ground. The little kids from the first part of the movie are still living in the slum and ramshackle conditions. From the studio, the producers and Danny Boyle on down, how can anyone who worked on that film allow that to be and live with themselves?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7909660.stm

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The market will sort it out.

:D

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

That's messed up. The movie has grossed over $160 million on a $15 million budget. It's sure to do well with DVD sales and rentals and will probably spike the next few weeks at the box office due to its big performance at the Academy Awards.

These kids should be paid well.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They made for a good photo-op. Now back to Mumbai!!!

6. Mizzougrad96

To be fair, I don't think Boyle is supporting the extras from Trainspotting either.

7. The Big Ragu

Well, who knows what deal they agreed to. They were poor and didn't have Brad Pitt's leverage and an agent and the producers had no idea the movie would gross a zillion dollars.

But now that they have made a lot of money, how big a deal is it for one of the producers who pocketed a lot of money to reach into his pocket and buy a few modest homes in Mumbai for the families? This definitely falls into the "How do you look into the mirror every morning?" category. It wouldn't take a lot to make a huge difference in those kids' lives and it isn't some random act of charity -- they have a connection to those kids and those kids obviously gave them a lot, that contributed to the movie's success, for very little. Why not reach into your pocket, do the right thing and feel good about doing it? This one boggles me.

8. The Big Ragu

1) Those kids are not extras. They carried half the film.
    2) They are living in extreme poverty, beyond their control. They were born innocent into a slum.
    3) Boyle doesn't have to support them. A relatively modest gesture on his part could have a huge effect on their lives.
    4) They are CHILDREN. There are children people have less of a connection to than he has to those kids, which most people with the means would step up and help when the kids get close to them.

I am not singling out Boyle. There are just so many people involved that it boggles me. Hell, pass around a hat.

9. Mizzougrad96

Let's be honest here.

The only person who got rich directly because of this movie were the producers. I'm guessing even the stars and Boyle for that matter, made next to nothing for doing it.

Boyle said in an interview that for awhile he thought it was going to go straight to DVD.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Exactly. The kids have no leverage at all, but you would think the studio would take care of them considering their enormous impact on the film. People forget that Patel and Pinto were not the only ones in this movie.

12. The Big Ragu

Uh huh. Because the first tenet of free-market economics is that everyone has to be an unfeeling asshole and not give a shit about children they have a connection to. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted