1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow Pitch Softballs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KoM, Apr 15, 2008.

1. KoM

KoM Member

Does anyone have an opinion a particular brand of softball to buy for a low level adult men's team?
    I've been tasked with purchasing our game balls and don't want to buy junk. We certainly don't need the best on the market, but I don't want something that's going to deform the first time you hit it.

We need the 44/375 balls. I figured as long as I went with Rawlings Silverbacks or maybe Worth Gold Dots we'd be OK.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Dudleys are also good.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought this was on the questions asked by Mike and Mike or Jim Rome. Jim Rome.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We have a winner. Dudleys are well-built, durable and won't go to pot after a couple of hard hits.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

ding.

6. KoM

KoM Member

couple of hard hits?
    I could buy one of those and it'll last our team all season! ;D

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Another vote for the Dudleys ... you may want to look at Evil balls, too ... not sure what the costing on them is ...

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Have they slowed down the bats these days? After a 9 yr layoff, been asked to play again and considering. In the mid 90's the balls were just flying and as a SS it became kind of ridiculous to see all the balls flying.

I remember Dudleys being pretty soft compared to the Blue Dots.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Slowed down bats ... hmm ... how to answer that ...

Bat companies are trying to produce the 'hottest' bat inside the BPF standards. NSA is using 1.20, ASA is using 98 ... and there are now rumours that ASA is going to drop it to a 96, grandfathering in the 98s.

It's sad because a lot of the associations are forcing us to play with balls that are no better than socks rolled up and duct taped.

In Canada, at least, NSA has the edge on that and allows us to play with a harder core ball and 'hotter' bats.

Of the best bats to come out in the last year, Combat produced the Lady Virus but has since announced a mass recall ... it was intended for the use of women and was very similar to the Ultra and Ultra II (two of the best bats ever produced IMHO) but when the guys realized how 'hot' it was, they started swinging it and then they started shaving and rolling it, which made it tantamount to an assault weapon in the hands of some.

It pisses me off to no end, because I was more than happy to ride off into the sunset of retirement in the next couple of years, swinging a Lady Virus.

I am now awaiting the Fastpitch Virus to get sent to me. I hear it's the twin of the LV.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't Flash...all this talk about evil balls and hotter bats.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

...and Viruses...

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Didn't I mention the Freaks? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted