1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow cooker purchase

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Nov 8, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think you'll need a 36 quart pot for children. :D

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/kitchenelectrics/specialtyelectrics/PRD~275879/Rival+22qt+Stainless+Steel+Roaster.jsp

Wife and I have one and the turkey will go in it on Thursday. It frees up the oven for pies and other stuff.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I asked for a crock pot for Christmas and I hope I get a nice one. The ex-wife used to make a lot of stews and whatnot in ours - which she kept - and I really liked it. I can cook to varying degrees, but I figure with a crock pot anyone can cook, so I want one.

Plus, there is nothing better than coming home and having the entire house smell like slow roasting stew meat. Mmm, I wish Christmas would hurry up and get here.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb about size.

Your ingredients plus liquid should reach about halfway up the pot.

This is a weird thread. Crockpots were the big deal back in the 70's and then disappeared.

I have crockpot cookbooks from 30 years ago.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wonder if one reason they are popular on this board is because it is pretty perfect for a journalist and their weird hours. You can put stuff in before you go to bed and have food ready in time for work the next day. Or you can put it in before your shift and it will be ready to go at the end of the day.
    At least that is what I plan on doing with it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Angola

It's perfect for any working family.

Get everything ready the night before in the crock, put it in the fridge and plug it in the next morning.

Presto. Instant dinner when you get home.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. It is good for anyone, not just journos. Maybe there is a new emphasis on cooking because money is tighter, what with gas prices being so high (cost me $52 to fill up my car today) and the impending-recession (which I learned about in some poly thread on another board).

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

I can burn water, but... I throw pot roast in, slice some spuds and hit the sack. When I wake up, I've got food for 3 days!

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly. That is why I want one. Instead of having to eat the same thing over and over, anybody can cook in a crock pot, so I can actually try new things.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We've got a 5.5 quart crock pot and it works perfect. I can't put a turkey in it, but dammit, I can make soup, stew, or ribs in it.

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I have a 2.5 lb. pork loin roast going in my 6-quart Rival crock pot right now. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The 18-quart jobs were sold out, and I didn't want to wait.

Six quarts seems plenty big for me.

12. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I'm cooking up some Mediterranean-style beef even as I type. I've got the model Spup posted, and yes, it's tremendous.

Some sliced round steak (pre-browned), onion, minced garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste (a lot of tomatoes, is what I'm saying), oregano, artichoke hearts. Six hours on high. Smells heavenly.

I'm gonna serve it over fettucine.

Draft saved Draft deleted