1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow cooker purchase

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That looks exactly like mine. Procter Silex.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Looks like what I have too.

And spup, ribs in the slow cooker sounds great ... I think a trip to the local meat market is in order.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's not even expensive. The ribs are the most expensive part, but then you have a huge meal. If you use beef ribs, it comes out almost like a beef brisket, too.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

[​IMG]

This is the best crock pot I've ever used. It's fantastic.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love my slow cooker. I would suggest getting one with a timer or shutoff, though, so you don't have to race home to shut the thing off.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can actually overcook something in a crockpot.

7. Oh yes you can. The Wife has done it with chili.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

On low?
    That'd be quite a feat. :)

My favourite is doing a pot roast in a slow cooker with beef stock, red wine and root veggies.

I always brown my meat first, though.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Slow cooker is great. Any with a removeable crock should do.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

You can. If it's a meat dish, the meat gets tough and a little dry (even if it's been browned). I also make a mushroom polenta in my slow cooker and it's disgusting if it gets overcooked.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can vouch for this. (From personal experience; not Dyno's dinner disasters.)

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Got me a Rival 4-quart crock pot Saturday. Was $16 after a 20-percent discount. Made a roast in it Sunday and it was unfreakingbelievable. Beef butter. I plucked a carrott and mushroom out of it before I went to the gym and every time I'd wipe sweat off my forehead, I could smell it on my fingers. I'm sure more than one person wondered where my hands had been because I kept smelling them! I was going to buy a more expensive model but a buddy told me the cheap one would work fine and he was right.

Draft saved Draft deleted