1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slow cooker purchase

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I'm wanting to buy a slow cooker, and I'm wide open to suggestions.
    I don't want a small one, so that's out. Also, it should have a removable crock to make cleaning easier.

Any ideas? Which have you had success with?

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You should get one with a removable crock that has no metal parts on the lid.

That way, you can put it in the microwave and dinner will be done much sooner.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The removable crock is a must.

You can fix everything up the night before, stick the crock in the fridge and plug the thing in before you go to work.

Other than that, they're pretty much all the same. It's a pretty low tech devise.

4. Platyrhynchos

Won't the crock crack after going from fridge to heating device?

Crock crack. That was difficult to type.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'll sell you mine if I can slip it out of the house...The Wife just-hadda-have-it a few months back so we shelled out big bucks for the All-Clad model and, of course, it's been sitting on the counter completely untouched ever since.

"But now I need to get a slow-cooker cookbook!"

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nope.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tiger,
    You can adapt any recipe to a slow cooker. Just reduce the amount of liquid by half.

And to get you started, here's a great recipe for lamb shanks:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/100843

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I recently purchased one of these. I'm considering making the Turkey Day turkey in it, sted the oven.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I use mine all the fucking time. Marinate a big family pack of chicken for a day or two, and then dump it in there before bed. When you wake up you have enough shredded chicken (easy to turn into bbq) to last for days.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I do ribs in the crock when it's cold out. Just put the ribs in (either beef or pork), pour bbq sauce on top, turn on the crock and 4-8 hours later (depending on how high you put the temp) you'll have ribs done.

11. This is what you want, Platy: $20.

[​IMG]

12. Platyrhynchos

Any idea what brand that is, WB?

Hamilton Beach? West Bend?

Draft saved Draft deleted