1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

slingbox

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Apr 29, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

does anyone have it? do you like it? i'm no techno-dummy but it seems almost too good to be true.

this is what i want to do with it so if anyone knows whether i can do that i'd appreciate your input.

i have a relative who lives in japan who wants to get it so he can watch my local cable TV. (i live in florida.) i've searched slingbox and slingcommunity but i can't seem to determine if we can do this or if this will interfere with my TV watching. currently i have one tv with a cable box and another tv with cable but no box. i want him to be able to watch whatever he wants while i watch whatever i want. i'm thinking the solution would be to get another TV & cable box and hook up the slingbox to that one and never watch it so he can watch it. does that make sense or can i just hook up the slingbox to my main TV and we can watch different things at the same time?

thanks.

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

It's possible to do that if you have an extra cable box and a good internet connection. A slight violation of the Slingbox "rules" maybe, but doable. Just need an extra box if you don't want him to interfere with your viewing.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Just think of the Slingbox as another TV. I use mine to watch Tivo'ed shows when I'm on the road, and it's awesome.

The most important thing is to have a really strong Internet connection on your end. I know it works well with my cable modem. I also know it works OK with a DSL connection on the receiving end.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've heard so many Slingbox commercials while listening to Sporting News radio that I would probably never buy it.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

I want to get one once Sprint brings EVDO to my area.
    Slingbox on a Palm Treo 700p, oh yeah.
    There is a Slingbox discussion board, linked from www.slingbox.com, to get help.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bought one for my sis and brother in law two Xmases ago and they love it.

She uses it to watch TV over laptop throughout the house and outside.

You do need to have a high speed connection though to use it.

It creates a an ip address that the remote computer locks onto.

He travels all over the world and can watch the Dallas news so long as he has the proper internet connection.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's fantastic, especially if you travel...

There's also no monthly fee.

I had a long delay at an airport a few weeks back and I just sat there and watched TV... I had access to everything I had Tivoed.

I highly recommend it to everyone...

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Hugh Millan, the ex-Pats, Cowboys, etc. QB, has one. He lives on the damned thing, I've heard.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just a quick question to resurrect this thread.

I'd just like to make sure before I take the plunge that it works with a strong high-speed wireless connection. My place isn't too big, and my computer gets high speed wireless everywhere very consistently, but my cable connection and wireless router aren't near my cable box.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We use it at work...on cable, I think, but I know our video is digitized and in what seems like slow-mo sometimes. We only use it in emergency situations.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Big ups for herr Slingbox.

Pretty easy to figure out and just think of the money you'll save on Spank-ter-vision!

12. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I just got one a few weeks ago. It's the greatest.

The best part is now I can bring my laptop in the crapper and watch my TV via my wifi network. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to install a TV in the bathroom. The slingbox has effectively done that, without all the wiring and extra expenses.

It's great for trips and for down times at work, too. I can watch all the obscure channels I get at home that we don't get at work.

Draft saved Draft deleted