1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slice like a ninja, cut like The Bowie Blade

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Company: The Bowie Blade-News
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 22, 2007
    Job ID: 738971

Description:
    Weekly community newspaper needs experienced self-starter to cover local youth and high school sports and edit sports section. Newspaper experience required. Page layout and design experience a plus.

Send two sports clips and resume to: Linda Blachly, assistant editor, The Bowie Blade-News, PO Box 790, Bowie, MD 20718. Fax to 301-464-7027 or e-mail to lblachly@bladenews.com. All applicants MUST live in the Bowie, Maryland area. No phone calls, please.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I have no insight on the job. I just want to point out that this is a great headline.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

There must be dozens of people already living in the Bowie area (as the ad requires) who want to work at this weekly.

4. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

Rats, I thought this was an ad for a spot on Vanilla Ice's songwriting staff.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They have a Double-A baseball team and a Division II college, and the ad stresses youth sports first. That's encouraging.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Why even advertise on jjobs then (It looks like a jjobs ad).

You'd think if they were too cheap to broaden the search to the entire state, that they'd be too cheap to post an ad on jjobs.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You cover one high school, youth teams that are usually pretty good, though that probably doesn't make up for the fact that it's youth leagues, and they usually offer pretty shitty coverage of the AA team. Typically the best part of the paper is the letters to the editor section, especially when readers argue back and forth week-to-week. I can't imagine how anyone with a day's worth of experience would want that job.

8. JME

JME Member

Out of work and desperate for a job, I nearly took this one a few years ago. It's a small, community-oriented paper (duh) and you're a one-man section, making relatively paltry money to basically cover Bowie High School as a full-time beat. People there seemed nice enough, but the job is obviously lacking in quite a few ways.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Plus they're cheap bitches. Screwed me out of a bonus when I delivered that rag back in the day.

10. If you're a wash-balt. area journalist out of work I'd consider this and stop by the post office every day after work sending out resumes. This looks to be a good job for a college senior. Unless you're on the way up or a bowie-area resident (outside of DC, I don't imagine it's cheap to live) with nothing else going on, I'd stay away from this one.

11. JME

JME Member

Right.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You also don't want to live in the wrong part of Prince George's County, lest you find yourself caught up in some bullet exchanges.

Draft saved Draft deleted