1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skydive from space apparently back on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

His "technical" crew was shit, too. ("The wind is out of the north! The north!" while you can hear everyone saying east. About a minute or two before the ground guy gives him correct info. Did the same thing with telling him wind is "from the ridge," before having to be corrected it was toward the ridge. Don't know how much of a diff it all made, but...)

Whoever was doing voiceover for the video wasn't all that sharp, either. Did I really hear him wonder what altitude at the ground was?

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The guy talking to him from mission control was actually the previous record holder, Colonel Joseph Kittinger.

102,800 ft. in 1960.

[​IMG]

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was freakin' insane -- and that photo is mind-boggling.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1. This fellow will deserve his props on the TV talk circuit.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought what he was trying to convey was the altitude of where the guy was going to land relative to sea level.

He was diving from however far up from sea level but Roswell isn't at sea level.

That said, the announcer did a shitty job.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That makes sense. The speed of sound at sea level is 768 mph, which is what I was basing it on. At the altitude he was at when he hit 729 mph, it'd be a bit less.

I'm sure they took it into account, and he doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects, but I wonder what the sonic boom does to the human body? Were they worried it would rattle some equipment loose? Was there even a sonic boom? Do I sound stupid for asking these questions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No. I find them fascinating questions and await hearing the answers. This is a really cool story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No stupid questions here. The whole thing is awesome. And most people know NOTHING about any of this.

Listening to him talk to mission control while in a 700+ MPH freefall was unreal.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The company that makes the parachute that opens at 700+mph and doesn't get shredded like a paper towel; now THOSE are some bright folks.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Cable news shows are produced by absolute dopes

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Muhahaha!

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Have all the chyron editors gotten fired like copy editors? Seriously. How does this stuff get through? The same way, I guess, that TBS can identify a baseball great as "Willie Mayes."

Draft saved Draft deleted