1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skis or board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 7, 2013.

?

Rent skis or learn to snowboard

Poll closed Jan 17, 2013.
  1. skis

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. snowboard

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with the group above. People learning to snowboard fall a lot.

My son -- who has good balance and likes to skateboard and takes jumps and stuff on skis -- tried snowboarding one day and was so tired of falling he switched back to skis after about four hours.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I own ski boards, and I think they are a nice mix of the two. You can do tricks, hit the jump parks and still do moguls as well. It is also easier to learn than snowboarding although, if you are a first-timer, it is better to learn on real skis.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or you could ride a deadly zorb.

http://news.yahoo.com/zorb-ride-russian-mountains-proves-deadly-102056296.html

[​IMG]

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Beat me to the punch. Zorbing is so 60s anyway.

[​IMG]

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd say I am classified as advanced in terms of skiing as far as Southeast skiing goes. There are no slopes from West Virginia to North Carolina I won't hit. When we've been out west I hit the big slopes but none of that out of bounds stuff. I've never been on a snowboard, but the older I get do wish I would have taken it up when I was younger. I don't have any interest in jumps and tricks and all that stuff, but it seems like now snowboarding would be more simple than lugging around skis and boots and poles everywhere.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

NYT: Boards hit the skids

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/travel/has-snowboarding-lost-its-edge.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1&

Percentage of boarders and days spent on slopes has been declining in recent years.

7. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Go with the skis. Also, wear a helmet.

Draft saved Draft deleted