1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skills you have that are obsolete

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 6, 2016.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Copy editing, apparently.

Bradley Guire, dixiehack, Ace and 5 others like this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Manual trans can get you a better price on a car in some places. Terrier mentioned one of mine, guess another would be flipping baseball cards. although just flipping cards is mostly luck, we would play closest to the wall gets all the cards. it's not completely obsolete, got at least 30 Dane Iorg and Jamie Quirk cards from the early 80s Tops sets.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

My grandfather was a doctor and he had matchbooks with his name, including title, on them. They had to be from the 1970's. My mom still had some of them up to a few years ago.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Putting quarters in a pay phone is a pretty obsolete skill. It's gotten to the point that a phone booth gets put on the National Register of Historic Places.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/71702/arkansas-phone-booth-got-national-register-historic-places

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think we're stretching the definition of the word "skill" here.

YankeeFan and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cursive handwriting.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Maybe FB got the idea from here: Not just useless, obsolete

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Beautiful schoolboy cursive, indeed.

How to change a typewriter ribbon.

Fair base of knowledge on Soviet Russia.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I used to be a precision machinist. I could fabricate lots of stuff (with tolerances as small as +/- 0.00005 in.) out of lots of materials. I could operate milling machines and lathes and grinders, and I could make a pretty good living doing so.

Those skills aren't obsolete, but they're not nearly as marketable as they once were.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Making change.

I worked in my father's store before electronic cash registers did all the work.

Your total is $8.17 and you give me $20.25, I can count back the $12.08 change without prompt.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Heard during first grade we had to learn cursive in second grade. Freaked out about this terrible prospect, I spent the summer teaching myself how to write cursive.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted