1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skiles will coach Bucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IllMil, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Right on with this observation.

To grab Williams ahead of either Paul or Williams was colossally stupid, even back then. Looks even worse now, obviously.

As far as the Bucks, the building blocks on that team as it stands are Bogut, Yi and Sessions. I wouldn't give away Villanueva. I'd do anything I could to get out from under the contracts of Redd and Mo Williams.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

At least Skiles knows the division.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Skiles' my-way-or-the-highway act will always produce short-term improvements, and always result in the entire roster tuning him out after about a season and a half.

He'd actually be better suited as a college coach, where you more or less automatically turn over 1/4 of your roster every year, and the players are more amenable to taking orders from a screaming authority figure. Multi-millionaire NBA players get tired of that shit eventually (and usually sooner).

But Skiles' own checkered past in regards to off-court hijinks in college will probably be a problem when he looks for college jobs.

If/when he gets whacked by the Bucks, that'll be strike three in the NBA.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And Bobby Simmons.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

And Charlie Bell. And Dan Gadzuric.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Certain teams need a taskmaster as a coach in the short term. It won't work long term, however.

We've seen what happens to my-way-or-the-highway coaches in other sports (see Williams, Gregg).

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I figured that one went without saying. But yeah, you're right.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

It seems like Garry Howard only writes columns when the Bucks fire or trade someone.

Draft saved Draft deleted