1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skewering Rosie Live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I don't think even that would work at this point. The woman is such a poisonous personality that I'm not sure many people would want to listen to her. The Rosie of the cute daytime show with the koosh balls is looooong gone.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was going for "Skewering Rosie dead," but yours works, too.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The obvious choice is never as much fun. :D

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think if it were well done, it could be very good and quite successful. I saw about 5 or 10 minutes of Rosie O's show (I probably would have changed the channel anyway, but I had something to do) and it looked like the problem was she couldn't decide if she wanted to be Carol Burnett or Ed Sullivan.

I thought when Rosie did her talk show, she did a sort of Johnny Carson type show and it was OK in a retro way. I also think she did an afternoon show reasonably well, but couldn't do a big show... see Cosell, Howard.

I think Saturday Night Live shows a variety show is still possible.

5. Mizzougrad96

You might be right.

I find Rosie fascinating. The work she's done for adoption charities and gay rights is amazing and I would challenge anyone to watch the HBO special about her cruise and not like the woman on some level.

But nobody wants to give her a show where she rants about her political views for an hour. That's why The View was such a great place for her. She'd get a few minutes to talk politics and a few to gush on celebrities and plug Broadway shows.

I find it hilarious that someone who dished it out so much couldn't take it when she had to get it back from a few people.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'd consider SNL a "sketch comedy show" not a variety show.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Yeah, but they also have musical guests. You could also say the Carol Burnett show was a "sketch comedy show" (I haven't heard that term before, but I wish I had come up with it).

Now that I think about it, the ultimate sketch comedy show would be SCTV with John Candy, Joe Flahrety, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas, Catherine O'Hara (oh, who am I missing?)

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Tony Rosato?

9. Mizzougrad96

Andrea Martin?

10. Mizzougrad96

Harold Ramis?

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Andrea Martin was the one I was thinking of. Was Martin Short part of that show?

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Short came on after that first group.

Rosato and Robin Duke joined later, which also served as the show's death knell

Draft saved Draft deleted