1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skewering Rosie Live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 28, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, this should be rich.

Figures how, Fenian?

2. I'm very sorry to have misspelled Ms. Hasselbeck's first name, is all.
    I am also sorry that she apparently hasn't read a book in 20 years, but that's another argument.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Watched it out of curiousty and it wasn't very good. Here's an idea Rosie: Every act isn't "fantastic." The word loses its meaning when you use it over and over and over and over and over. The best part was Jane Krakowski's striptease even if she was shameless promoting all the giveaways.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Everyone who watched that show (OK, I suppose TwoGloves gets a pass) should be chemically castrated. And the TV execs who thought it was a good idea should be sold into slavery.

5. I have no problem with variety shows that a time machine wouldn't cure.
    But the Rosie venom hereabouts is ludicrously overheated.
    And Matt Roush -- Esthetic Tastemaker is the funniest character to appear here in a long time.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think using a variety show to take potshots at Donald Trump and Sarah Palin was a good use of time. It was bad. And it wasn't bad because of the star, it was bad because it didn't seem to be about entertaining the audience but about O'Donnell enjoying herself.
    I probably could have seen this coming when she promoted the show by getting into a public spat with Barbara Walters. Really, fun for the whole family? Ellen DeGeneres does a show like this every year, and it's much, much better. That woman knows how to host a show.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought it might be a little like Carol Burnett's show, hence my reason for watching. But there were no comedy sketches. It wasn't funny at all and the opening with Liza was painful to watch. Like the review said, Rosie had to be part of every freaking moment it seemed like. I wouldn't watch again if it gets picked up.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The venom here as it pertains to Rosie O'Donnell is no more overheated and no more ludicrous than that which is directed at other targets of "piling on."

I don't even know if this thread and its contents would constitute piling on. People didn't like Rosie Live and they don't like Rosie. So what?

The problem is, you can't easily separate self-indulgent tripe from its purveyor. In Rosie's case, it's practically impossible because she wants it to be all about her.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm guessing there won't be a rosie live part 2:

Audiences Give Rosie the Bird as Her Thanksgiving Special Flops
    PopEater

(Nov. 28) - NBC had high hopes for 'Rosie Live,' her variety special airing the night before Thanksgiving. But the show tanked, tying for the evening's lowest-rated program.
    5 million viewers tuned in for the program, according to The Hollywood Reporter's James Hibberd, with the program earning a 1.2 preliminary adults 18-49 rating.
    According to THR, NBC had high hopes for the special and planned to expand the program into a series should viewers re-embrace the decades-old variety format. Other networks, too, were watching closely since several are developing variety shows of their own.
    "There's a notion that the climate is right for the genre to make a comeback," emailed one executive at a rival network. "I guess we now know what not to do, thanks to Rosie."

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Top of her class at BC. You may not like her, but the woman is not stupid.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

So her TV persona is an act? That's almost worse.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But she's pretty, blonde and a conservative! She must be dumb!

Draft saved Draft deleted