1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJW influence on word meanings in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I love women.

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

FWIW along with the snark, there was genuine admiration for a plain spoken turn of a phrase.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. Just the facts ma am

"A 25-year-old government contractor has been charged with mishandling classified information after authorities said she gave a top-secret National Security Agency document to a news organization."

Contractor charged in NSA document leak case

Totally not SJW related, but I did not want to start a new thread.

Definition of contractor
    1. 1: one that contracts or is party to a contract: such as a : one that contracts to perform work or provide supplies b : one that contracts to erect buildings
    Um.... she is an employee of a contractor, not a contractor.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

so she's a sub-contractor?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

She's performing the work specified in the contract. She's a contractor.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Wouldn't she be "party to a contract"? Without the contract, she does not have work. I have been employed by a company that does contract/consulting marketing work for other companies. In those instances, I was referred to as a contractor by the company even though I was an employee of the other company.

Also, just caught up on this thread. The whole thing is monumentally stupid. I love it.

7. Just the facts ma am

Good questions all. I would say the contractors are the persons/corporations that signed the contract. If you were employed by the contracted company and showed up at the work site and said "I am the contractor", I would agree that would be proper useage.

However, when the Washington Post and the New York (fucking) Times headlines and copy say a contracter betrayed US secrets; when in fact what happened was a naive 25 year old white girl, got indignant and mailed something to a media outlet (that was not new or important) well, I think language is important.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  8. Just the facts ma am

Obviously I have no idea. But I am guessing Reality Winner was hired into a top security job because she had a father/uncle/brother/cousin in the "union" or the "professional association".

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb is that if someone is referring to the first dictionary definition they googled as justification for their nitpicking, they have no fucking clue how language works.

10. Just the facts ma am

Nitpicking, I can see your point of view. But what dictionary definition can you cite that defines contractor as an employee? The use of words has an impact on how we live and how laws are enforced. Corporations should not have leeway to change them to suit their purposes.

Here is a common example of corporate speak: "An officer involved shooting occurred".

11. Just the facts ma am

AKA, white privilege, she does no jail time.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Someone please explain to me why SJW is so offensive.
    If I won the lottery, I'd devote my life to social justice.
    If I were a cool action figure, I'd definitely be a warrior.

Draft saved Draft deleted