1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ user SteveU had a stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Just a bump to see how our old colleague SteveU is doing. Did the Blade pull his health insurance yet? How is he doing?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Last update I have seen is from Jan. 2.

" Strained to hear him, but his voice is the clearest i’ve heard," wrote a retiree who visits him. "He was moved because the wing where he had been, is for patients who are on ventilators — so says a nurse at the nurses’ station. The nurse said he’s a good patient."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Just curious if there are any further updates on Steve. How long has he been in the hospital now?

Liut likes this.
  4. spikechiquet

5. spikechiquet

With the loss of the search function, a few updates have been missed. But I will post what a member of the sports department posted today.

Members of the union pitched in to buy him a tablet so he can get back online (so maybe we'll hear from him soon.)

"I was able to drop off the tablet and headphones to Steve today. He was beyond thrilled. He just kept saying, "Oh, wow!"
    The first thing he did was go to YouTube, search for Moody Blues and listened to Knights in White Satin. They have free Wi-Fi for the patients there. He had some trouble remembering passwords for email and Facebook. He kept telling me to pass along how grateful he was to everyone. ... I also had a nice talk with him. I can fully understand him now. And he is fully coherent. He also is getting outside when the weather is nice. Thanks again everybody."

6. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Thanks for the update. He is still in the hospital at this point, I take it? Any idea when he will get out?

7. spikechiquet

Nope. I haven't heard that. But I will ask.

8. spikechiquet

Oh ... he's not really in a hosiptal. More like a hospice. No idea on timetable though.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I hope the care he is getting is more assisted living and not hospice.

10. spikechiquet

I don't know terms ... just work with me here...

Vombatus likes this.
  11. spikechiquet

UPDATE: Steve is back on Facebook, he just added me.

Baron Scicluna and Vombatus like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I want to see Steve post here.

Draft saved Draft deleted