1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ user SteveU had a stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I'm sorry for the late notice, but I just put 2 and 2 together.
    User @steveu was admitted to Mercy St. Vincent's in Toledo after suffering a stroke on June 26. I had some contact with Steve through SJ any time The Toledo Blade had a sports opening. He was hired a while back on the sports copy desk, well after I left.
    Anyway, I am still in contact with friends there via Facebook and I will just post some snippets of how he is doing to catch you up.

June 26: "I just left the ICU at Mercy St. V to visit Steve Ungrey, who suffered an apparent stroke while at work. Doctors won't know a prognosis until tomorrow, and a second CT scan is scheduled for midnight. His family has been contacted. If anyone knows of anything Steve needs taken care of before his aunt gets here Saturday, please call me. I'll try to keep people posted. If you pray, Steve could use it."

June 28: "Steve update: Mike and I just visited him at St. Vincent. His super friendly nurse said he was stable, and he was trying to open his eyes and was able to give a thumbs up. His room is kinda sparse, so I’ll bring in a few cards tomorrow for people to sign. No flowers, but cards, balloons, and pictures are welcome, the nurse said."

July 1: "Fellow Guild members, I just visited with Steve at St. Vincent and wanted to provide an update at 6 p.m. Mostly good news but there is bad.
    The good news is he’s mostly stabilized. His condition has not changed but the nurse was thrilled that his blood pressure is really good and his heart rate is good. He looked comfortable at least and he’s still responding well to commands asked of his health care staff. And he actually looks really good.
    Also, his aunt did come down earlier today and he also had visitors the nurse said might have been from his apartment complex. So that made me feel a bit better at least. She said he’s had more visitors today than he did yesterday which kinda surprised me but just thankful he’s had people here that care and are still visiting him this deep into the process.
    Unfortunately, they did try to take the feeding tube out and it didn’t go so well. He had issues on his own and they had to go and stick another tube back in. The nurse wasn’t sure if it was that tube in particular or what. They are going to let him rest at least the rest of today before they determine their next moves.
    Night desk get well card was dropped off and well received.
    Like I said, mostly good news but still not really out of the woods yet. Please keep Steve in your thoughts and if you can make it down here, please do. Any visitor right now makes a difference. He knows we’ve been here and thinking of him."

July 2: "I just now left Steve's room at St. V's. He can't talk because has a breathing tube, which a nurse said might be removed tomorrow.
    This was cool: because he's a sports guy, I figured he'd like some sports news. I told him LeBron james signed with the Lakers. His eyes grew wide in surprise.
    Yep, he's a sports guy.
    Signing off for now."

July 5: "All hands; just came from seeing Steve. He's still in St. V's ICU and still has a breathing tube. He was sleeping. I didn't want to roust him, so I talked to a woman in a white lab coat with "Samantha" on her name badge. I asked what she could tell me; she asked for his "code word." Not knowing that, she said he's stable.
    Then she said his aunt has to decide on whether to operate -- replacing the tube down his throat with one in his neck. She said he's responsive. And that wen his tube was out he couldn't talk.
    She also said he's getting a lot of cards from The Blade, so he must be well-liked."

July 6: "Say some prayers/send some good thoughts Steve's way today, guys. I was able to talk to his doc at the ICU today, and he said they plan to do another brain scan this afternoon to check on the bleeding and make sure Steve isn't having any seizures. He also said they're going to try once more to remove Steve's breathing tube on Tuesday -- it had been out for two days but they had to put it back in. Depending on how that goes, they may surgically put a breathing tube in, which would hopefully be temporary as he recovers.
    "Regardless, It's going to be a long recovery," the doc said.
    Steve knows we've been visiting."

Today: "Steve was supposed to be transferred last night to Advance Specialty Hospitals, near Arlington and South Detroit avenues in South Toledo. It’s near Bowsher High and UTMC."

I plan to go visit him soon since I now realize I do know the guy a bit. So if any of you have words to pass on, please let me know or email me: spikechiquet@gmail.com. Thanks.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, hope he can make a full recovery. Best wishes to @steveu and his family.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Tell him we’re thinking of him.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Quick recovery, Steve U.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I send good thoughts and the love of the household. PM me please, if he needs anything.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not sure if @Waldo9939 is still active on here, but he could shed some light on the situation going forth as well.

7. That's too damn young for a stroke.
    Hope for a full recovery.
    Certainly pulling for him.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Darn. Pulling for him too. One of the good ones around here.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Passing along good thoughts for @steveu's complete recovery. Thanks for letting us know, @spikechiquet

10. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This is my bad guys I probably should have mentioned something only because of how beloved the guy is. I’ve been dealing with a lot considering Steve probably was the guy I was closest to at work. I had literally just come back from vacation at APSE and also had to try to finish off the LPGA tab and juggling a lot of things.

Everything spike said is current and up to date. I went and saw him three times within the first few days because I wondered if I could have done anything to help. I realize I couldn’t but still.

Steve is a fighter and will continue to fight. I know he will. As many of you know, he’s a jovial guy.

You can email me as well as my personal acct at: columbussportsjunkie@yahoo.com. Between me and spike the two of us will continue to provide updates as long as anyone wants them.

Also, his job is NOT in jeopardy per union bylaws. Thank goodness for that. The job opening we have is to add to staff because we know he’s going to be out for a while. I can’t stress enough that Steve’s job, for everything that I know, is safe.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Prayers.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery. Like QYFW said, please let him know we’re thinking of him and wishing him the best.

Waldo9939 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted