1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ, settle a debate for me. Montana or Brady?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Tom Brady was not even on the field for the winning points for any of the Super Bowl wins. And yes, he was a miracle catch away from four, but he was also an average kicker away from maybe winning just one. Now, obviously Brady deserves credit for moving the Pats into position for Vinatieri to do his work. But when you think of Brady, what's the first thing that pops into your mind?

Now ask yourself the same question about Montana.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Interesting point on Vinatieri. Jim Kelly would be put in a different circle if Norwood hadn't missed.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably, but Vinatieri's clutch field goals were better bets than Norwood's miss. The Bills should have been more aggressive trying to get him closer. That was definitely at the fringes of his range.

4. playthrough

Agreed. But if he makes it, Kelly is forever thought of differently. If Vinatieri misses his kicks, and Brady doesn't get the other ring, these kind of debates don't even start.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

6. outofplace

What if Neil O'Donnell doesn't shit himself in Super Bowl XXX and Aikman ends up with one less ring? Wasn't Joe Montana nearly intercepted the play before his game-winning touchdown pass to John Taylor against the Bengals?

You can play the what-if game all you like, but I don't think it is fair to any of the players involved if you do.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

kudos on bringing kelly into the conversation. like montana and young and aikman and brady, he's as good as any qb the last 25 years. by the 4th super bowl, how could you *not* be rooting for the bills to get the ring just once? that 4-year stretch is bizarre.

elway won back to back when most guys his age are playing golf. i'm almost inclined to say elway and montana are interchangeable. 2 minutes and 75 yards to go trailing by 4? elway, baby. (you can insert montana's name there, too).

marino?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I haven't read this thread, so I may be missing something, but are you for real? Moss is a LOCK to be in the HOF.

9. playthrough

What-ifs are a part of the debate game. No more silly than the debates themselves.

As for Montana's near-interception...yup. Lewis Billups. I was 14 years old, sitting 15 rows up in that end zone in my Boomer Esiason jersey. The nightmares persist to this day.

10. outofplace

When it comes to bringing a team back late, Elway is right there with Montana and anybody else you could mention. But overall, Montana was far more consistent. Maybe that was because he played on better teams, especially in the late '80s, but you still have to give guys credit for what they actually did.

Brady is easier to compare to Montana because they are similar in their styles of play. Montana and Elway were very different quarterbacks. Montana would just pick you apart all day. Elway's game wasn't as pretty. He had his rough stretches, but he would find a way when it mattered most.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't know if I would say Elway found a way when it mattered most all the time, unless you're just talking about two-minute offense. Elway had a couple of his worst games in Super Bowls.

Having said that, the Montana-Elway Monday Night duel in 1994 was one of the most memorable games I had ever watched. Man, it was something else watching those two go back and forth in the fourth quarter.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

So Brady's legacy suffers b/c he hasn't thrown a game-winning TD pass in the last minute of a Super Bowl...only led two game-winning drives? Not sure I understand that one.

And when I think of Brady, I think of the ruthless effectiveness of the 50-TD season...or of him putting his hands on his head and shaking it in wonderment as he stands at the podium after the 2002 Super Bowl, and I wonder where that happy-go-lucky guy went, 'cause it sure seems as if he's gone and never coming back. Either image still puts him on the level just below Montana, and again, it's not a giant gap at all between the two.

Draft saved Draft deleted