1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ, settle a debate for me. Montana or Brady?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Montana: 4 Super Bowls, 4 wins, 0 interceptions. Talk about cool under pressure.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I covered both guys, which was a great privilege. All I can say is you can have first pick, and I'll take second, and whoever it is, I'm still pretty sure I can win the game.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ask 100 NFL writers who is better Montana or Brady and the final tally will be about 95-5 in favor of Montana, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was 100-0.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Two of those without Jerry Rice, by the way, for those who like to play up the strength of Montana's supporting cast.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And the first one without anyone of note except a young Dwight Clark.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Awesome, oop.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Brady may one day pass Montana, but he has quite a bit of work to do.

Montana's career-defining moment was the drive in the Super Bowl against Cincinnati. Brady's is ... the tuck?

Montana twice came back from career-theatening injuries and was still pretty darn good. He played one half in two years before coming to Kansas City and still took the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game.

Sidenote - Montana is still the last KC quarterback to win a playoff game. it came against a team that has moved twice and changed names twice.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, I might characterize The Catch against the Cowboys as Montana's career defining moment. Or at least that's the front end to the Cincinnati Super Bowl drive. Two signature, absolutely clutch, all on the line moments that really delivered titles for his team. Can't say that Brady has those type defining moments.

And here's a couple names of some 49er running backs from the early Super Bowls: Bill Ring, Earl Cooper. Pedestrian at best.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't forget ex-Ram Wendell Tyler, who was a Pro Bowler on the 1984 team: He rushed for 1,262 yards (also caught 28 for 230).

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm thinking either the anti-Pats/anti-Errand Boy sentiment is stronger than ever, or people are already burying Brady after three non-descript games. He's not quite on Montana's level yet, resume-wise, but if not for the mother of all miracles, Brady would have that fourth ring (albeit in a 14-10 slugfest) and this would not even be a debate.

He authored the greatest season in NFL history and has more rings at 32 than Montana did at that age. And King, how can you think Brady's defining moment is The Tuck? He's directed two Super Bowl-winning two-minute drives, including one at the end of what was, for all intents and purposes, his rookie season. That's not on the level of The Drive (since the Niners were losing), but it's on the next level, and it ain't that far a drop.

Aikman and Bradshaw are so far in his rear-view mirror, it's not even funny.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you. Was just about to post that.

It's easy to overlook "The Greatest Show on Turf," but man, they looked close to invincible entering that Super Bowl.

That said, Montana > Brady, up to now. Still subject to change.

12. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Should be noted that in Brady's Super Bowl loss, he DID lead what looked like a game-winning drive - 9-for-11, 80 yard drive - it's just that the Giants scored in the two and a half minutes remaining. If Tyree doesn't pin that ball to his head, Brady would've just completed a game-winning drive to cap off the greatest individual and team season of all time, and it would've tied him with Montana and Bradshaw with a 4-0 record.

Also: Ronnie Lott.

Draft saved Draft deleted