1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Nerd Squad Question — Cable Internet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 1, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ah, OK. I'm pretty damn computer illiterate (no surprise there).

Thanks, wicked, for clearing it up.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to unclutter the home office, where the G5 is. Right now, on a very small desk, there's the G5, an external hard drive, scanner, printer, iPod dock, digital camera dock, cable modem and wireless router plus cables and cords for all of them.

I'm trying to simplify things and get rid of some of it. So I was thinking if I could move the wireless router off that desk, and out to the den, it would be a small step in the right direction.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I get that, Inky, but when you said you needed a second modem, that's what had me confused.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

While you are talking about wireless routers...

I am having trouble getting my wireless signal to an upstairs bedroom. Have any of you installed a booster (I'm sure that is the wrong term) to help a signal carry through your house? Does this actually work?

5. Inky_Wretch

One modem in the home office connected to the G5. One modem in the den connected to the wireless router for Wi-Fi.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Try relocation first. Most of the time, the signal is getting blocked by something, so if you amplify garbage, it's going to remain as garbage.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good point.

I will try that, but it is locked to a specific room I think because of a comcast/directv issue going on.

I may legthen the cable and place it at a higher point.

Thanks

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But if the G5 has wireless and can get the wireless signal, why do you need the second modem?

9. Inky_Wretch

Not sure if it does. I have to check on that.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Gotcha. Not trying to be a pain, just curious.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You said Cox.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got a wireless router, and a computer upstairs runs off that. When I bought the router and wireless card, the guy advised me to get the more expensive one (at the time) that used MiMO technology, and to buy the card that had to be installed onto the motherboard, as opposed to a USB card. I've had no problems with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted