1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Heisman balloting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Lets run a Heisman poll to see who we would give the award to. I can't remember a more wide-open race.

Vote for three players - rank them 1-2-3 - either in a post on this thread or by sending me a PM. Votes must be cast before noon (Eastern) on Dec. 6.

My ballot:
    1. Toby Gerhart, Stanford
    2. Colt McCoy, Texas
    3. Mark Ingram, Alabama

2. The SEC and Big 12 championship games will mean a lot here, so I think a lot of people will abstain until Dec. 5. As will I, though Gerhart's a strong No. 1 to me unless something amazing happens Saturday.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have to ask myself, where would each team be without each Heisman candidate and I must say Florida would not be undefeated and we would not be talking about Stanford. Texas would probably still be pretty damn good and ND would stilll be pretty damn bad without their quarterbacks... so here it is.

1. Ingram, Alabama
    2. Tebow, Florida
    3. Gerhart, Stanford.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

After watching Ingram against Auburn. ... I am convinced Gerhart deserves the award, with C.J. Spiller the only other candidate who deserves to make a decent showing. While watching Texas vs. Texas A&M, if I didn't know Colt McCoy was Colt McCoy, I might have wondered if Jerrod Johnson was the Heisman candidate. McCoy certainly didn't look the part to me.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd write in Peyton Manning.

[/Vol fanboy]

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

1. Colt McCoy
    2. Tim Tebow
    3. Mark Ingram
    *** hats off to Gerhart for a fine season. He's a bull.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. McCoy
    2. Ingram
    3. Keenum

Gerhart and Spiller should get invites to NYC also.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

1. Gerhart. For a running back to dominate anymore the way he did is amazing. And his performance in the Notre Dame game raised his profile.
    2. Tebow. A phenomenon, and the best duel threat in the game.
    3. Suh. The best season for a defender in college football in years.
    4. Clausen. Clearly has talent and had several spectacular efforts.

McCoy is surrounded by a shitload of talent and is more steady than spectacular. I don't think Ingram is as good as Gerhart. Keenum had decent efforts against Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, but piled up a lot of his numbers against lesser competition; same for Kellen Moore.

9. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

How about voting for the best player this season in college football and not the best QB

All guys ahead of Tebow, McCoy and Ingram on my ballot in no particular order ... the games are not done, yet.

1. Joe Haden (Florida)
    2. Eric Berry (Tennessee)
    3. Toby Gerhart (Stanford)
    4. CJ Spiller (Clemson)
    5. Jacquizz Rodgers (Oregon State)
    6. Kellen Moore (Boise State)
    7. Ndamukong Suh (Nebraska)
    8. Adrian Clayborn (Iowa)

Then maybe McCoy, Tebow and Ingram (in that order)

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Berry's not having the kind of year he did in 2008 but he's still a hell of a player.

And I forgot about Suh. He should merit some consideration.

I voted for McCoy because, even with all of that talent around him, there is no question that UT is his team. He is their unquestioned leader and I don't know if they're unbeaten without him. It's not something you can quantify but that's just the feeling I get when I watch that team play.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, Toby Gerhart
    2, Colt McCoy
    3, Case Keenum

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Why invite someone like Spiller you know has zero chance to win?

Draft saved Draft deleted