1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com NFL survival game (playoffs)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Sep 2, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:30 EDT)

That's the smart play. I always try to get cute, though, and do what Versatile mentioned, saving good teams for later. It always, and I mean always, backfires in my face. See, Tampa Bay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:30 EDT)

Yeah, the key is to survive. It's worthless to plan ahead for Week 4 because a lot of times you don't make it to Week 4, even if you pick a double-digit favorite at home.

The Pats will be a popular pick this week, and while they should win, they have enough injuries that an upset doesn't seem out of the question.

I'm in one at work and of 100+ entries, every single person picked the Bucs, Pats, Colts or Seahawks last week. All of those games were very close to being upsets and obviously one of them was.

I almost never pick a road team until I have to, but I went against that last week and barely survived.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I will usually try to pick an off-beat team if I'm confident in them, because if I'm fortunate to survive past the first couple of weeks, it gives me a chance of having some better teams left. I've won one of these one time with that strategy, but also gone up in flames too.

4. Mizzougrad96

I remember last year between the Cowboys beating the Giants in the season opener and the Cardinals beating the Pats in Week 2, most Survivor pools didn't have too many entrants left come Week 3.

5. JackReacher

Yup. The Patriots bit me last year. Bastards.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:25 EDT)

Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:25 EDT, which is five minutes earlier than I originally posted. Get those picks in!

7. Matt1735

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:25 EDT)

My pick is in ... and definitely not a team I'd normally pick in a survivor pool.

8. Mizzougrad96

The Raiders are a popular pick this week.

I reluctantly took the Falcons.

9. JackReacher

Houston

10. Matt1735

I see two more strikes went out this week... keep swinging and missing everyone! :)

11. Mizzougrad96

This week should be easy, unless anyone took Seattle in Week 1.

12. JackReacher

Yup. Seattle and Denver (aside from being great parlay picks) are two easy choices for knockout pools. Closest thing to a lock you'll ever find.

Draft saved Draft deleted